Who has the better 49-0, Rocky or Floyd?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, Mar 5, 2017.

Whose 49-0 ?

1. Rocky

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Floyd

34 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Which names are p4p better than anyone Marciano fought?

RockyJim likes this.
  2. adokei

adokei Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    every single one?
    yes...every single one.

3. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    Really? Let's take Charles for example... so name me the fighters on Floyd's resume that are p4p better

RockyJim likes this.
  4. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
  5. adokei

adokei Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    charles that fought marciano was way past prime
    like canelo beating mosley.
    or ....marciano beating louis.
    pound for pound both cotto and pac were better at the time that may beat them than charles when marciano got him
    lets not forget who was winning that fight too.

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Pacman was shot, visibly slower and diminished from his heyday.

7. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    Totally disagree with this. Pac was MORE past his prime than Charles was. This is illustrated by the fact that Charles found a solid fight against a Prime bigger Marciano. On the contrary, against an also slowed down May, Pac barely won a round or two. Cotto can't even hold Charles jock strap when it comes to p4p ranking, nor any ATG ranking. Pac had already exposed Cotto almost three years prior. This is suppose to impress me? Like Canelo beating Mosley? Don't you mean like Mayweather beating Mosley? So again, you have yet to name me a fighter p4p better than Charles, which illustrates that you're statement was blatantly false.

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007

At the time they fought them respectively or in general?

9. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    And two years later Manny is still the best in his division and p4p ranked #2 in the world. Charles was losing to journeyman two years after Marciano despite still being younger than pac is now.

10. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    Both but I honestly don't believe you feel that way in general, just don't see any that is possible.

11. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    Right, but those two things aren't mutually inclusive are they Magoo? Just because Clyde Drexler won a title with Houston in the twilight of his career and it was his greatest sporting achievement doesn't mean that was the best version of Clyde Drexler. In boxing terms, just because Holyfield, Duran, Pea, Jones Jr. (we could name countless more) won title past their prime and were still winning, doesn't mean they were the best version, or even close to the best versions they were. There are other variables that factor in, so just because Pac is still winning and doing well, doesn't mean he's just as good a fighter. You're also forgetting that Charles had WAY more wear and tear on this body than Pac did, so the older reference is really kind of silly. Anyways, here's what we know, Charles fought a very competitive and tough fight against a prime ATG puncher who was bigger than him. Pac, against the best guy he fought (who was also slipping himself) barely won a round or two and it wasn't a competitive fight at all.

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    how old was Mayweather when he fought Manny? How old was Rocky when he fought Charles?

13. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007

If you're argument is that Floyd fought his best opponents when they were washed up then I'd say that's pretty hypocritical.. For one thing he also beat a lot of prime opponents who were certainly better than many of rocky's. The Clyde Drexler comparison is a weak one as Drexler had a team to help him get that championship. Doesn't work that way in boxing.. Manny is still fighting and beating top flight comp two years AFTER losing to Floyd ( who incidentally was also in the twilight of his career where as Rocky Wasn't ) and still one of the best in the world. That 2015 version of Pac was better than anyone Rocky beat, as was a prime Alvarez. Hell Marquez and Cotto were still great when Floyd beat them. You think Archie Moore, Louis and Walcott who were all 38 were better fighters?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    mcvey likes this.
  14. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    I didn't make such an argument, even though it's plainly true, his best wins were past their prime fighters. The best fighters he faced were... Hoya, Mosley and Pac.. and they were all WAY past their best. Next would be Marquez, and again, clearly past his best. To me his best win is Corrales and JLC 2. I liked both of those wins a lot, but they weren't better wins than Marciano over Charles or Walcott. Anyways, that is a whole other argument entirely, I'm simply discussing your statement that some of Floyd's names are p4p better than ANYONE Marciano fought. Let's explore that before moving to Floyd's lack of beating any great in their prime.

15. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Best from a NAME standpoint yes. But Mayweather's career doesn't rest on the shoulder's of past primed named opponents as Rocky's does. And even that 2015 version of Pac was still better than the old men Rocky fought. Christ he's still one of the best in the world to this day. Where did Walcott go after Rocky? Charles? Louis? Lastarza? You get my drift.. Canelo was in his prime and 43-0 with two belts when Floyd moved UP in weight to soundly beat him and Floyd was 37 years old THEN at an age when Rocky was retired. Canelo hasn't lost since and is also like pac, p4p one of the best. Cotto still had some good fights left in him after Floyd. Mayweather was 17-0 and 21 years of age when he beat a 40-1 Genaro Hernandez. The list goes on and on.