Who has the better resume?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Nov 23, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Jack Dempsey or Joe Calzaghe?

2. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    This is a weird question.

3. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I would say the Legend has the better resume. Joe Calzaghe is a work in progress at this time. I hope the right fights line up for him. I really enjoyed the fight with Kessler.

4. Langford

Langford Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    awkward question. It's hard enough picking heavyweights from two different eras, let alone different weight classes from two different eras with one still a work in progress.

I am probably the wrong person to answer this because I think Dempsey is criminally underrated today and that includes his opposition.

Calzaghe has defended his title over twenty times now, though not (in the past) universal and not undisputed. Perhaps a better question would be Holmes or Calzaghe.

5. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Ok, I'll answer, I guess. Dempsey beat better oposition by far and often in impressive fashion. It could be argued Calzaghe is the better champion, since Dempsey was very inactive as champion (even though he had his reasons) but I don't see how these two could be compared. Did you just pull two random boxers names out of thin air or what? What made you ask this question?

6. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Both pretty average CVs really, in the higher scheme of things that is. Dempsey has become rated accordingly in recent years after years of being deified by old timers and the like. If anything, Calzaghe's W column might be superior- and he wasn't KO'd in one-round either (although there's still time I suppose). I respect Dempesy as a legend and historically important figure in boxing history but 'resume'* wise his cae isn't that strong.

* Pukes at even using the word. :dead

7. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Jack Dempsey as of now, but Calzaghe has some time to add onto his...

8. littleguy

littleguy Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2007
    When 90,000 people pay $1m ($50m in todays $$) to go to the middle of nowhere to watch you fight, when you knock out opponents who outweigh you by 50 lbs, when your fights are immortalized in paintings, when there's no internet or tv and the whole civilized world still knows who you are, you don't need no stinking resume/cv

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    So that's a Calzaghe?

10. littleguy

Sep 29, 2007
    With a username like JohnThomas you're probably of Welsh ancestry so you're allowed to fantasize about Calzaghe's name being mentioned in the same league as Dempsey. And Joe draws a pretty good gate which is in his favor. Maybe one day he'll win a title in a proper weight division and get started on a Dempsey-like legacy

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Well the question was asked and you didn't exactly elaborate. All you did really was grandstand and posture.

And no, i'm not a fan of Caz at all. Barely bothered to watch hiom at all as of yet.

12. littleguy

Sep 29, 2007
    I figured that you were smart enough to realize that I was talking about Dempsey. I stand corrected.

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought most were smart enough to figure a question was asked. I was correct. You validate me not thinking "all".

:hey

14. littleguy

Sep 29, 2007
    You're right dude. You did ask a question and you have a right to an answer. I honestly thought you were having me on.

Calzaghe never ko'd guys twice his size, never drew a million dollar gate, never (to my knowledge) had Leroy Neimann paint him in action, and hardly anyone knows who he is. If it was between him and Dempsey as to who needed a resume (a strange concept) it's Calzaghe.

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes his exposure is pretty low really given his ability and skill level. He's certainly anything but larger than life LOL. He's in the latter career stages and only just finding a little prominence.