Who has the greater legacy: Pacquiao or Floyd?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by FastSmith7, Sep 20, 2017.

Superior legacy?

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr

96 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Manny Pacquiao

201 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. Tettsuo

Tettsuo Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Boxers and fighters of all kind in general will be studying Floyd Mayweather Jr. for years to come.

No one will be studying Pac film to learn how to box.

Pimp C and Vanishing like this.
  2. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Think its got to be floyd mayweather he pretty much cemented it with the 2015 victory. Although it didnt count for much when you put it all together and add that in...its pretty clear for mayweather. Could have probably been different tho if pacman got away from bob like mayweather did. You had one guy going in with bad matchups and the other guy getting to pick exactly who he was fighting. Floyd stayed away from the younger guys with great stamina.

Always felt that would have been his downfall as he was ageing...but tbf there wasnt really many good young fighters around at the time...think he picked ortiz and canelo. Canelo had stamina as bad as the older guys and ortiz was a bit too basic. Reckon guys like thurman/porter maybe even khan would have gave him problems. He would have outboxed all of them comfortably...but their workrates would have caused him problems. Mosley/de la hoya/older pacman/older cotto. We,re on borrowed time in their fights. He was the better boxer...and they only had gas tanks that could test him so far. Castillo,s high workrate caused him problems. So did maidanas. Younger mosely/de la hoya would have beat him.

He was a tremendous boxer no doubt about it...but pacman will be remembered more fondly.

But mayweather has the better legacy. No one beat him for me. Castillo de la hoya etc came close but imo he won them fights. Just the hate for him clouds peoples judgements a bit.

3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    He was essentially a spoiler tho. His whole game was shutting down your defence then pot shotting you for the points win after he got above 140. Great reflexes etc. But cant be remembered fodly for that in the grand scheme of things.

When you bear in mind he spent a lot of time picking opponents at the right time etc.

4. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I've said many times that Manny's "Mexicutioner" run is a better string of wins & opponents than any that Floyd has.

I'd rate Manny's run at 147 above Floyd's as well.

Handled Cotto MUCH more better. Miguel looked like he'd been mug by baseball bat-wielding thugs!
    Demolished Margarito. Floyd never wanted a fight with him.
    Nearly killed Ricky Hatton. Not only by how lethal the stoppage was, but Ricky's life went out of control after.
    Whitewashed Clottey.
    Ended Oscar's career. Even if Oscar came in at 154 he'd have got owned.
    Beat Bradley. Floyd never mentioned him once, despite him being top 3 @ WW.

Ok, he hung around too long and last some fights, but I think his legacy is greater overall (8 time champ or something mental like that), beat some VERY legit ATG's and some super legit comp south of 140, and demolished guys that Floyd either didn't, or wanted no part of.

5. satan12

satan12 Play Fast Or Die Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    None!

6. BewareofDawg

BewareofDawg P4P Champ Full Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Fair enough. I agree that being undefeated isn't as important than some make it seem. I think Mayweather was much smarter and more calculating with both his career and approach to fights than Pacquiao, and Pac was more of a "screw it and let's fight" kind of guy. So it comes down to taste as a fan at the end of the day. The two have always been polarizing and split fans down the middle. Imagine if Boxing didn't have these two for the past 10/15 years??? They were both so important to the sport.

I think you are overrating the Bradley win, and underrating some of Mayweather's wins, but that's a matter of opinion. I think, now that it's all done, Mayweather has the better resume and had the better career, but the two of them are standing at the top together for this era. It's like arguing Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady, at the end of the day, who gives a ****. They are both all time greats and had amazing careers.

DKD likes this.
  7. boxerfan13

boxerfan13 Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2012

Drained Cotto to 145lbs. Drained Margarito to 150. Drained Oscar to 147. Who gives a damn about Bradley?? With Pac fans (not saying you are one) they bring rankings into situations with Pac but not Floyd. Ortiz was a top 3 WW. Maidana top 3 WW.Shane Mosley was THE man at 147. Pacquiao when he was #1 at WW. But instead.. It's Ortiz wasn't ready.. Maidana sucks.. Mosley was old.. Pacquiao was old.. It's just convenient and speaks to a CLEAR agenda on this board for people who are against Floyd. Both are great fighters. Pac had a wonderful career. So did Floyd. Floyd is greater. It's Okay to admit that. People saying Floyd didn't wanna fight so and so are stupid as hell and it has no backing whatsoever

Pimp C and Vanishing like this.
  8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I meant everything I said. You got the simple reasoning also. That is good.

9. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I give you guys credit for being able to read a big paragraph.

10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Yeah but why not fight the prime Pacman and the good one who was looking sharp and knocking out Hatton and dominant. That would have been more impressive. I think Floyd could have possibly beaten that Pacman, but I think it would have been harder, and he was afraid of it. If he was not afraid the fight would have happened. He waited 6 years.

11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Floyd did not want the fight. It is obvious. Had he wanted it he would have had the fight.

12. boxerfan13

Jun 10, 2012
    Floyd signed his end of the deal. Had Pacquiao not reneged on the drug testing, the fight would've happened. HIS OWN TRAINER SAID IT.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  13. boxerfan13

Jun 10, 2012
    You did mean everything you said.. Doesn't make it true. There's plenty of facts out there that destroy what you said.. You refusing to believe any of it doesn't bother anyone.. You just look ignorant

Pimp C likes this.
  14. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    The only guy who drained himself was Oscar, and that was his own fault. But if you recall, virtually everyone picked Oscar to win. Did you correctly pick Pac to beat DLH?

How was margarito drained at 150?

Cotto weighed in a pound less for PAc then he did his previous fight. And Cotto did not fight like a drained opponent.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  15. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Your opinion is irrelevant he will be remembered. You're just a bitter hater mad that PBF turned out to be the best fighter of this era and you'll be mad about that in 20 for sure. I have given you evidence that he is The Ring, ESPN Roach yet none of that matters to you.

Ronnie Raygun likes this.