Who hit harder Joe Frazier or Mike Weaver??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Holmes77, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Holmes77

Holmes77 Member Full Member

May 28, 2022
    With the left? I’m going with Weaver!!!! To bad Weaver wasn’t more active in his fights! I would have liked to seen these 2 fight and seen Weaver smoke Joe with that left!!!!

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I won’t commit to either one hitting harder. Too hard to determine. They both had power in the left. Joe’s was faster and sharper. Weaver however DID stop or hurt a lot of big men with his though

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Weaver had more one shot power, Joe had speed and timing. Joe was also ridiculously relentless with it, he'd get you with it sooner or later.

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    You're really a clown.

5. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Frazier, and it isn't even close.

Reinhardt, Philly161, choklab and 6 others like this.
  6. Holmes77

May 28, 2022
    And what are you????????

7. Holmes77

May 28, 2022
    Don’t like what I post don’t comment

8. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    My first take would be Frazier is the harder hitter

But after watching Weaver taking down Tate with just one left hook I am not so sure

This content is protected

RulesMakeItInteresting and BCS8 like this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Mike was a better fighter than people give him credit for. I think most just think of that terrible Dokes stoppage or the Thomas ko when they think of him. Mike beat undefeated/highly touted Tate, high-ranked Coetzee and Tillis, wiped out Carl Williams like he was a big zero (more convincingly than Iron MIke did imo), and definitely beat Dokes in the rematch.

Flash24, HolDat and Holmes77 like this.
  10. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I’d say Weaver. Thing is much as folks hero worship Foreman folks said Frazier hit harder. So who am I to say.

11. SomeFella

SomeFella Member Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Neither one of them were truly punch for punch cannons like Jackson or Foreman, but I'm confident Frazier was the better fighter and had a better left hook, so I'll say Frazier.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think this is probably about right. Weaver could generate enormous power off single shots, but Frazier threw 3 to Weaver's one and hence was more successful as a boxer.

13. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Weaver.
    Frazier is vastly overrated when it comes to punching power. What made him great was his execution and his constant pressure, not single punch power.

cross_trainer, Entaowed and HolDat like this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Frazier hit better. And that makes him more potent than Weaver.

mike knocked guys dead now and again.

The Tate fight was in the very last round..and Carl Williams was counter punched blind.

whereas Frazier cleaned out an entire division beating everyone up. Poor Ellis. Poor Mathis. Poor Quarry and Chuvalo. Those guys were handed a beating.

For all Weaver stiffed a few guys with his hook, were they all good guys? Were they able to compete with Weaver before going over? In most cases yes. Often times it was Weaver taking the beating until he landed his left.

Frazier terrorised everyone he fought with his hook. All the way through. Even Ali.

People will point to how Williams and Tate dropped and argue that Frazier never flattered guys like that…but they have not seen what happened to Doug Jones and Bob Fister.

Remember, A guy going down hard goes down as much because he wasn’t prepared for the punch coming as much as how hard the punch actually was. And Frazier was able to do this too.

But as well as this, Frazier hammered and hurt guys relentlessly with his hook without having to nail them. He used it like a jab. That’s how many he threw.

apollack, Pugguy, Entaowed and 2 others like this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

One of the untold stories of Tate's ko loss to Weaver was what John told Frankie Randall later on. Tate was nailed in the 13th and said later he couldn't remember the rest of the fight and actually thought he'd lost by decision in the dressing room . If Tate is to be believed, and I have no reason to doubt it, he was in a daze for about 4 or 5 minutes in which he never recovered. Weaver landed solidly no doubt but John was ready to go .After winning the title Tate began his slide and if he hadn't picked up the white powder habit I think he handles Weaver and probably fights Ali instead of Holmes getting that corpse