Who is Barry Jones talking about here?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Nov 16, 2018.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    When he split from Groves before the Froch fight I remember he sued for 25% of Groves purse (his fee)

2. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    It can depend on where the fighter is been trained. If the trainer has his own gym the trainer might get a monthly fee towards running costs but it wouldn't be money in the pocket as such.
    Trainers don't usually get paid for their 1 on 1s, they get 10% of the purse. On average that's about 100qid for a 4rdr. Maybe slightly more, depending on the deal the fighter has with the promoter.
    If a fighter sells £5000 worth of tickets (,Which isn't easy) they pay there opponent. Least the opp will get is 1150 and it can go up to 1500 or more if you bring a foreigner over.
    He will then put in up to £1000 towards promotional costs and the rest is split 50/50 with promoter.
    Using the above that's 1150 for a local journeyman (british) if he has to travel far he will ask for a bit more towards travel. 1150 for the fighter and 1000 for prom.=2850 - 50%= £1425 for the home fighter. Trainer gets £142 @10%.
    The trainer might of trained the kid 4 or 5 times a wk for 4months or so.
    There's other ways (deals) that the promoters work but essentially they are all similar.
    It's hard to do 100 tickets as well, very hard. Most don't do it. Small hall promoters are struggling in this day and age.
    I went to Steve Woods show on Sat night to watch the nurse v Taylor fight and as luck would have it Steve came and Sat next to me half way through the fight. After the fight we were taljingcabout thus very thing.
    He told me he'd lost money on the show.

DJN16, Holler, hitandhope and 3 others like this.
  3. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    Over, £100,000 the 10% becomes negotiable.
    Yes it's a hard game for 99% of the fighters.

stittyb likes this.
  4. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    His son is though.

5. im sparticus

May 16, 2010
    You are right on a lot of points but I would say most trainers are out of pocket at the end of the year.
    Same as the fighters only the top ones end up with very good money.
    Believe it or not most fighters would probably earn more working sweeping the streets on min wage as they will from boxing. Getting paid min wage for the hours they're putting in and the costs incurred.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    hitandhope, caligula4 and stittyb like this.
  6. Quickeyg

Quickeyg Really really really don't care. Full Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Booth is a fake bast*rd. really really suspect individual.

7. londonboxingess

londonboxingess Active Member Full Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I can imagine Booth knows his worth(I'm not saying my view is he is worth that view but he strikes me as a man that is no-ones fool

Somali Sanil, Scissors and Fhaggis like this.
  8. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Probably why they was telling Kell to take the GGG fight with all the "you can beat him your a natural middleweight" you whoop him Kell you can beat him. It was the biggest pay purse Ingle gym had since hamed days.

9. big moose

big moose Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Anyone read the
    This content is protected
    interview in this months Boxing Monthly? He comes across as a delusional egomaniac, who feels he has "solved" boxing (and is selling his knowledge as "Stamina for Sale, 9"). He admits that he became bitter that fighters left him, and insisted that anyone who stayed was both managed and trained by him.... the only one who remained was Anthony Yarde...... Seems a good bet for the "over valued manager" guessing game!

https://www.staminaforsale.com/pages/about

Wizbit1013 and Scissors like this.
  10. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I watched him on IFL a few months back where he was hyping himself and his “boxing system” which he was claiming would revolutionise boxing.

11. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
  12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Barney Eastwood?:pipi

13. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Groves confirmed in his boxing life stories podcast that Booth was taking a 25% management fee even after he left him as a trainer.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It really depends on what the trainer/manager does for the fighter.
    Some do far more than others.

15. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Brutal - how can one sleep at night taking huge sums of money for doing nothing.

CutThroatFade, Accurate and Scissors like this.