Who is next for Canelo? (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    This content is protected

Caliboxing, CST80, 22JM and 7 others like this.
  2. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I’d like to see him take an easy stay-active fight next then move on to something more dangerous.

22JM, IsaL and Rumsfeld like this.
  3. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Do you have a specific boxer in mind when you say "something more dangerous"?

Scar likes this.
  4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I think he needs a warm up at Light Heavyweight before facing Beterbiev.... like say, Gvozdyk.:D

5. Scar

Jul 20, 2004
    I would personally really like to see him fight Golovkin at Super Middleweight or Light Heavyweight if Alvarez plans to stay there. That should be a fun fight worth looking forward to.

22JM and Rumsfeld like this.
  6. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    He specifically crossed my mind, and I was going to go through a list of what I consider "next tier" options, but I decided instead to just throw Pascal out as an example. But Gvozdyk and BJS were among others I initially considered listing.

CST80 likes this.
  7. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I agree that this is one of his better/best options, although I maintain north of 160 tips the scales even further in Canelo's favor. I'm NOT saying it's not a dangerous option. But at 160 I think it becomes more interesting, but I have doubts that Canelo could reasonably even do that now, and I think GGG would merrily jump up a class if it got him the fight.

Scar likes this.
  8. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Whoever agree to tap on his gloves and take a dive after a sparring session fight will be his next opponent.

lol joke, I don't know. I think he will have to go back below 168 pounds. Look how big Kovalev was. Canelo looked almost like a dwarf. Imagine Beterbiev instead of Kovalev. It's crazy. Kovalev had more issues than we thought, but Beterbiev on the otherside has no known issue that Canelo can exploit. The miracle in the LHW division stops here for Canelo; he has to lose weight now.

From.Russia and Rumsfeld like this.
  9. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    You may be correct. But at this point, I wouldn't necessarily count Canelo out against anyone, and I'd actually prefer he try and see how far he can go at 175.

IsaL likes this.
  10. Scar

Jul 20, 2004
    I highly doubt Golovkin will if he had to move up in my personal view. However, seeing how he lacks meaningful options and this is the only fight that could guarantee him one final major payday before retiring, it might be considered.

Watching your video though, which is another awesome video by the way so props to that, I do fully agree that this is the least meaningful fight compared to the rest mentioned. It’s just a fun fight that I would like to see for the fun factor. It’s one of those fights that looks amazing on paper, and will most certainly deliver serious excitement/action in the ring as well.

IsaL and Rumsfeld like this.
  11. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Get into a Fight with his team to stop hydration clauses.

12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Damn, you should've included them both. They're the most nightmarish opponents imaginable, outside maybe Ward. Which is precisely why GB will never even consider putting Nelo in with them.:deal: I'll watch the video later today by the way.

Angler Andrew and Rumsfeld like this.
  13. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Yeah, I wanted to try and focus on the 5 that most interest me personally. Don't get me wrong! I'd love to see BJS, Gvozdyk, Pascal, or at least a handful more. Just that the 5 I mentioned who are pictured in the thumbnail - those 5 interest me more at this time (meaning ideally some time in 2020, I'd hope for 1 of those 5 to happen).

CST80 likes this.
  14. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    I think It might be Jaime Munguia next in may, an easy opponent with the potential to draw interest from Mexican crowd. Then either GGG 3 or Callum Smith for the next september, Cinco the Mayo. Beterbeiev and Bivol might be a little too risky at this point.

And how about David Benavidez? A Mexican fighter with exciting style, has a belt at 168. A lucrative fight and gives Canelo a chance to remove all the doubts about him being a 4 division champ.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  15. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    DAZN won't allow it. Remember they're paying him around $35,000,000 per fight. That is ODLH-Mayweather level of money.

Each new opponent has to bring in new subscriptions, be marketable, and get people buzzing. The days of fighting Liam Smith or Rocky Fielding or James Kirkland are over I think.