Who is next for Canelo? (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'd be surprised (but not shocked) if Canelo dips all the way back down to 160.

But, I do think a 3rd fight with GGG is probably the one with the most mass appeal, so I could see it happening anywhere from 165-170.

Bummy Davis likes this.
  2. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I don't think this is entirely true, either. I think DAZN is going to want something that passes as at least one marquee fight a year for Canelo.

3. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I wouldn't write GGG off. No way would I do that.

But, at 168, while Canelo might be slower, GGG will likely be slower too. And more importantly, I'm not convinced GGG will carry his power up as well, whereas I think Canelo might actually be a bit 'stronger' at 168.

I would be 100% onboard with a 3rd GGG fight if it is closer to 160 than 168. But I think it would likely wind up closer to 168 or even 170.

Goose likes this.
  4. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    He's DEFINITELY getting stronger, but also smarter.

Aydamn and bandeedo like this.
  5. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    The big problem with Kovalev's approach is he never earned Canelo's respect, which allowed Canelo to slowly pick away at him. I also thought Kovalev should have been more measured and not thrown quite as much, but instead, pick his spots with the jab, and mix up his speed/angle/snap on his delivery. BUT - I think Kovalev had the right idea on the whole, as did Canelo. Kovalev tried to do a lot of little things like work the body, and he threw a few "longer" shots with some blaze on them, but Canelo was usually making him pay in those moments.

I understand not everyone sees things the same way, but I stand by what I stated. For me, it was a fascinating tactical chess match of an uncommon variety, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

From.Russia and bandeedo like this.
  6. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Honestly, If he is thinking about legacy he should not fight GGG again. He beat him, so why do it again. GGG is motivated and that fight is always tough, although GGG is older now so maybe Canelo can win more decisively. I would like to see Canelo fight Ward, if Ward comes back. Now as far as GGG goes. If the fight is at 168 I would like to see GGG vs. Canelo. That changes some of the dynamic of the first two fights.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  7. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree. One punch I think Kovalev could have gambled with was the right uppercut yet that opens him up to the left hook. I think gambling a little more would have made it interesting. Kovalev was afraid of the counter since Canelo was quick with the right hand in the exchanges.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  8. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    because he will knock ggg out cold, and thats what will be remembered in 20 years.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  9. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Good video as usual Rummy. Although I could have done without seeing Kovalev get KO'd twice more. That triggers me, big time.:sisi1

I agree, I have no desire to see a third GGG fight, because like you, I think GGG is in decline, and while I still don't think Canelo is a KO artist, he might be able to do enough to rock GGG, and prompt some shitbag GB referee to jump in and wave it off too soon. And I have no desire to see that little **** get KO wins over both GGG and Kovalev. How's that for honest?:lol:

While I think stylistically Callum Smith is all wrong for Canelo, I have a bad feeling that match might end up being off the table, I'm leaning heavily towards John Ryder pulling the upset. His right hook and body attack is damn effective, and I can see him getting in close, nullifying Callum's outside game and beating him up and stopping him late. But if he comes through unscathed, fine bring it on.

A match with Bivol doesn't appeal to me, because Bivol bores the hell out of me and I really just don't want to see it. That being said, Bivol has the tools to beat Canelo so decisively that even the judges can't rob him.

Straight up. I want to see Canelo beaten senseless and stopped. So the Beterbiev match clearly has the most appeal to me, but also like you said, it's probably a pipe dream.

A Ward match would find us on the same side for a change in regards to SOG, I'd be all in on Ward.:D I'd love to see it, but I highly doubt Canelo is going to start clamoring to drag Andre out of retirement any time soon because he knows the one sided domination that awaits him if he takes him up on any kind of offer.

If I had my druthers (I hate that word), I'm still partial to a Saunders and Gvozdyk match, for obvious reasons.:D

10. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    If we were talking about a megastar like Floyd or Mike Tyson I would agree. But in the case of someone like Canelo - who speaks no English apart from "thank you very much" - its harder to market him. He needs a dance partner who is better than or at least as good as his previous opponent. Once the audience's appetite has been wetted they want more.

If he fought another Rocky Fielding again I would not want to pay for a DAZN subscription and I daresay others (ie casuals) would too.

Just in my opinion though.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  11. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Love to see masvidal, plant, or ward. No rehydration clause.

12. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    That will be the plan for sure. Please don’t misunderstand my post. I was merely suggesting that Alvarez will make them good money regardless of who he fights. But surely, they will have plans for at least one major fight a year as you suggested.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  13. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    So if I'm reading correctly between the lines, are you essentially in agreement that we will never see Canelo fight at 160 again?

14. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I agree with you only in the sense that Kovalev really needed to gain Canelo's respect, and he was never able to do that. But I still firmly believe that the general overall strategy was the right one.

From.Russia likes this.
  15. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    For the record, I am not AT ALL certain that Ward beats Canelo at this time, if it were to happen sometime in the next 12 months. I believe Ward is more skilled and perhaps smarter on the whole, but him being mostly inactive since 2013 (outside of that 5 fight stretch) really makes this a big question mark. At the end of the day, I believe Canelo has improved a great deal these past couple of years. So I really wouldn't be sure what to expect if it were to happen (but I'd be overjoyed if it was ever officially announced).

Interesting perspective on Ryder. I'll definitely be tuning in for that one.

I would personally be surprised if BJS or Gvozdyk are in play here, but they both would certainly make interesting propositions.

CST80 likes this.