Who is the A-side, AJ or Fury?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Feb 25, 2021.

1. FromBuenosAires

FromBuenosAires Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    the man can still fill stadiums and even people who dont know anything about boxing have heard of him, there is no current british fighter that is even close in terms of popularity.

2. Rilz

Rilz Ball don't lie! Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    You say that jokingly, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Joshua has a cardboard personality and is just your every day vapid Instagram influencer. Fury actually has charm and wit. In the week he spent in Nigeria he would likely win over a whole lot of fans.

Malph likes this.
  3. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    AJ is clearly the A side.

4. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    No way AJ is Nigerian we support our own. Don’t be surprised if a lot of Gypsies support AJ.

Jackman65 likes this.
  5. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    When he knocks out Fury he will win BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

6. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    There is something to that. Fury has a big personality and can talk. He comes off as an earnest, a little goofy but likeable guy.

Wilder as we have seen is a whack-job. AJ seemingly has a personality designed by corporate focus groups.

So as far as who is the A-side. Let's call it even and make it a 50-50 split.

Fury and AJ fighting for the true HW crown is the biggest HW fight in a long time.

Having an actual unified champ will be good for the sport.

And make no mistake, whoever wins this fight IS the champ.

Rilz and Jackman65 like this.
  7. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    He is also massive in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. He is not as popular in the USA because he has only had 1 fight there the first Ruiz fight disaster. However that will change and he is known in the US.

8. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Can’t believe this is a serious question. Look at their ppv numbers, crowd numbers, sponsorships, social media followings, overall earnings etc and one is comfortably clear of the other.

9. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    I hate this A side crap. Both are popular and I hope this fight doesn’t get held up by the greed of one side. Fury is definately much bigger in the US, biggest $ market. Either way, no other opponent can offer the type of revenue these guys can generate by fighting each other. I’m looking forward to this fight more than any HW fight in a long time. Hope it’s a good one.

AJ gets a lot of crap around here but he’s a solid fighter. I think Fury is much more skilled but both guys have a great shot at winning. This is what makes it a great fight. Two giants going at it. Please don’t let this be a stinker or controversial decision.

Malph likes this.
  10. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    This content is protected

11. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Probably AJ. Fury hasn't sold out Wembley etc.
    AJ's credentials in the US will be dampened by Fury beaten Wilder and his loss to Ruiz but he probably shades it. Thats bearing in mind before Wilder isn't a house hold name stateside.

BUT

I just want to see the fight and may the best side win.

12. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    AJ is the darling of the media with his fraudulent gold medal and scripted answers and endless regurgitation of corny platitudes and he's had the weight of the sport's most prominent and respected promotional outfit Matchroom Promotions behind him and the red carpet treatment since day one. Conversely, Tyson Fury is a lone wolf and a maverick who was born on the wrong side of the tracks and came up the hard way. There was no fraudulent gold medal gifted to him or carpet rolled out for him, let alone a red one, because he came from nothing and every bit of success that has come his way has been fought for tooth and nail.

Sure AJ can sell out stadiums in the UK when given how he has the might of Matchroom Promotions behind him and the media fawning over him but he can only fill those seats with casuals whereas Fury can pack out arenas both in the UK and across the pond and fill the seats with aficionados of the Sweet Science.

AJ is the pugilistic equivalent of One Direction and Tyson Fury is Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach all rolled into one.

NEETzschean likes this.
  13. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Fury has never packed out an arena in the uk. The only fight he has had that was a sell out was the last Wilder fight.

If Fury is apparently such a big draw in America then how come the Wallin fight only sold 3500 tickets? They had to give away more than they actually sold.

14. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Boxing aficionado aka fans of the Sweet Science>>casuals.

1 fan of the Sweet Science = 1000 casuals

I'm talking about him being the face of US boxing now ie. after he destroyed their greatest HW in the last 20 years on his own soil, not way back when.

But I know your type, pal. My people have been through too much, waaay!! too much, and come too far for us to allow your kind to keep us down. You fear us because you can never be us. Your hedgehog stew tastes like **** and you have zero caravan swag

See ya later, gypsy hater

Jackman65 likes this.