who is the best body puncher of the last 15 years?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by warrior85, Jul 7, 2007.

1. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Ward is not a better bodypuncher than Cotto or Hatton. How good you are is all relative to the opponent you beat. Wards bodypunching techniques wasnt enough to stop Gatti...nuff said.

2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Floyd hurt Gatti to the body, dropped Bruseles, G. Vargas, and Mitchell with body shots. His body attack was key in his fight versus Judah as well.

He's not going to focus to the ribs as much as guys like JCC or Hatton but he mixes the bodyshots in there well.

3. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    No it isn't. You can mix it in well, or be a consistent attacker to the body.

For instance, a slapper like Byrd generally throws quick shots upstairs, but sneaks in body shots here and there. He moved Ike back with a straight left hand to the body and had Tua more hurt than he's ever been in round 8 of their fight. Roy Jones mixed it in well, as he would attack the head but also throw good body shots as well, such as the ones that stopped Wolfe and Hill, dropped Kelly, hurt Telesco and Toney (whose resistance to body shots is top notch), and saved the day against Tarver.

Other guys like J.C.C., a young MAB, Hatton, etc....are more consistent in attacking the body.

4. knockout

knockout Make my day Full Member

Feb 18, 2007
    right now it has to be Cotto:smoke

5. YOUNG*LORD

YOUNG*LORD Carlosv1968 is your daddy Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Cotto, Chavez and Ward.

6. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    at this moment in time i'd say cotto.last 15 years when did barry mcGuighan retire? he was a hell of a body puncher.

7. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    The original Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum off course

8. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Has to be Juilo Cesar Chavez his left hook to the body was unreal.

9. Shaun Spensley

Shaun Spensley New Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2006
    i would have to go with ward.. he got mutiple one punch ko's to the body and won a bunch of fights becasue of that left hook to the liver. greatest bodypuncher of all time BOB FRIZSIMMONS, he invented the one punch knockout

10. ko factor

ko factor Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Vassily Jirov... I saw him knocked out a lot of his opponents by a body shot.

11. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    You don't know what the hell you are on about. Floyd is a complete body puncher who has stopped and dropped fighters with just about every shot there is to the body. He has done to D fighters to A fighters. In his major fights i.e. Castillo, Corrales, Judah etc body punching is a major component. He even stunned DLH to the body.

The jab is worthless but it kept Jose Luis Castillo away. You seriously don't know what the hell you are on about.

12. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    No mention of Tyson? Viscous bodypunching and a real 1 shot bodystopper.

No mention of Barrera? Fantastic bodypuncher, especially at 122.

No mention of Tyszu? Look at what he did to Hurtados body

RJJ could crack to the body

WTF are people mentioning Floyd for? His work to the body is okay, but Floyds offense isn't great in anyway and isn't what wins him fights. Compare Mayweathers bodyattack to Chavez/Tyson/Barrera/Tyszu - its not worth bothering

Cotto/Hatton are good picks.

13. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Chavez was the best. I wholeheartedly believe he could have won some of his title defenses without ever throwing a punch upstairs if he had to.

14. emanuel_augustus

emanuel_augustus Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    I can't believe more people aren't mentioning Vassilly Jirov. He was one of the few guys that would actually look for the body to set up the head.

Strong kid too, his left hooks to the ribs were just painful to watch. Check out his brutal body of KO of Dale Brown.

He shattered Terry McGroom's ribs with a shot in the first round that echoed through the arena.

He's up there with JCC and Ward.

15. Andre

Andre BAD INTENTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Full Member

May 3, 2006
    Roy Jones Jr