Who is the best British boxer to never win a world title?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Super Hans, Sep 2, 2015.

1. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  2. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Wow, this is so Inaccurate and just WRONG, yet it keeps getting perpetuated and usually by people that forget we've got a hundred year history long before him too.

How many shots did he get, 1?, 2? NO Three, 3 chances and he didn't do it, so certainly NOT the Best NEVER to Hold or Win a world title.

IF your going on short sightedness and ignoring the past history, then using your very own quote...

it's Michael Watson by a mile!!!

3. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Watson also had 3 chances at a world title and didn´t do it. :hi:

4. sas6789

sas6789 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    From what i´ve seen, Graham with Watson a close second.

5. Super Hans

Super Hans The Super One™ banned

Apr 18, 2013
    It's nobody "by a mile" as people are exaggerating. A lot of strong candidates already mentioned.

6. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Great thread from Super Hans

Herol Graham and Henry Wharton spring to mind as do David Starie and Dean Francis who were talented. M Brodie was another good one who was unfortunate, maybe R McCracken and H Eastman. M Watson?

7. Liverpool-27

Liverpool-27 Member Full Member

May 28, 2015
    A lot of great fighters mentioned but I think Martin Murray is close although i think he may eventually win one under the Matchroom banner.

8. Izaak97

Izaak97 Active Member Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Martin Murray deserves a shout considering he would of been world champ if the Martinez fight was anywhere other than Argentina.

9. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Martin Murray, David Starie and Robert McCracken cannot be mentioned in the same universe as Herol Graham or Michael Watson. Henry Wharton was so limited compared to Herol Graham that it's not even funny.

10. Izaak97

Izaak97 Active Member Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Probably gonna get stick for this but imo Herol Graham is mad overrated. Who was his best win, Mark Kaylor?

11. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Probably Kalule, who gave a prime Leonard fits. But he was robbed against McCallum and Kalambay (II), the two most skilled fighters in the world arguably. Rod Douglas was also a super prospect, and barely laid a glove on Herol. And Chris Johnson too, Olympic medalist tipped for supers****om; schooled. He beat Sanderline Williams hands down when SW was still a prospect (when he was just a survivor, he nearly beat Benn and Toney without meaning to!), and Lindell Holmes on cuts who had brutally smashed up Roy Gumbs (and went on to be robbed abroad a few times before winning a world title). And let's not forget Pat Thomas! Or even Seys who of course had just took out ultra super prospect Christie.

12. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    And James Cook, who went on a great run after and had beat Watson!

13. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    Any insult from someone who calls themselves a donut is hardly going to be taken to heart, especially when that donut is an alt.
    Uchiyama by any chance :oops::lol:
    Run along kid and stay off a good thread with top posters

14. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    You could argue that Froch is limited compared to many other fighters, but was still able to win big fights with other attributes, which I feel is similar to Wharton especially when you consider how he was able to push Benn/Reid and beat a fighter who became a world champ.
    I seem to recall it being mentioned about Starie and Graham facing each other not long after Graham had lost to Brewer. Yes I know that was a far older Graham, but he was still competing at world level and I think Starie would have won inside the distance had that fight been made

15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    My dad was a good pal of Peter Keenan and always says he is best he has seen not to win a world title and he was a better fighter than Jim Watt ever was (not sure about that as not seen him fight). Was a lovely guy to i have heard from a few people.