Who is the greatest boxer (pound-for-pound) of the 60s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by themostoverrated, Jun 16, 2022.

1. themostoverrated

themostoverrated Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2022
    The 60s produced some of the finest boxing fights in history and the decade was also home to the primes of some of the greatest pugilists to have ever graced the squared circle. Muhammad Ali (nee Cassius Clay) is generally considered to be the best boxer (pound for pound) to have fought during this decade. This is of course, considering only achievements of boxers in the period from 1960 to 1969. I however, feel that Eder Jofre deserves that honor. It is true that Ali was in his physical peak during this decade. But as slick as the Louisville lip was and as elusive beating 'The Greatest' turned out to be, I believe that Ali's best exploits were witnessed by the boxing world in the 70s. Make no mistake, Ali was an effervescent, charismatic tactical genius who felled the unshakable Sonny Liston two times (including one via the phantom punch), but I don't think Ali's resume outside of the two Liston fights can hold up against his own in the 70s. I also feel that Jofre is underrated. His two losses against Fighting Harada notwithstanding, Jofre fought boxers from around the world and also fought his fights around the world. He was thus the world champion in the truest sense.

What do you think? Is Jofre indeed the best pound-for-pound boxer of the 60s? Or is it Ali? Or is it somebody else?

crixus85 and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  2. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    My first thought was Jofre. I thought he was generally considered the decade's finest.

Given his squeaks against Jones and Cooper and the controversies surrounding both Liston bouts, I am surprised to hear Ali was 'widely considered' the decade's finest, tbh. I would expect some judges to have Emile Griffith ahead of him in the 60s too

cross_trainer likes this.
  3. Rubber Glove Sandwich

Rubber Glove Sandwich A lot of people have pools Full Member

Aug 15, 2020
    Emile Griffith.

R.I.P to Ortiz, he's definitely top 10 of the decade.

Journeyman92 and BoB Box like this.
  4. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I go with Ali. His close calls with Jones and Cooper came when young Cassius was still developing. He whipped Liston fair and square both times.

5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Floyd Patterson has a better claim than Ali.

6. Liston73

Liston73 Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 8, 2022
    Jofre for me.

KasimirKid likes this.
  7. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    Incoming ....

BoB Box and cross_trainer like this.
  8. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    I agree that he was developing when he had the close calls but being the greatest fighter of a decade is often about career timing as much as talent. Being at or near peak when the decade starts puts you in pole position compared to someone who's just starting out and won't really hit a peak until mid decade.

I went with Jofre because he didn't have two close calls against lesser opponents. That was probably down in part to the fact that he was fully mature by the time the decade got going. Nonetheless, we shouldn't overlook his almost flawless decade in favour of someone who had a few stinkers because that someone was young and learning the ropes. Those fights are part of Ali''s 60s legacy. Ali essentially had three good years in the 60s. That just doesn't stack up next to Jofre's consistency over six or seven years.

The timing mean that Ali was still young enough to make waves in the 70s. Doing so meant that his overall legacy is secured which means far more than being the standout fighter of a particular decade. That Jofre did likewise despite his advanced age going into the 70s is one of the sport's great achievements and can get overlooked amidst the frenzy of excitement that surrounded Ali throughout the decade.

It's interesting to note that both Ali and Jofre had the last three years of the 60s off and are vying for the decade's top spot. Interesting, too, that both came back in the 70s and defied odds to produce some amazing performances against younger, bigger men. I've got no pearl of wisdom to offer - no f*****g surprise, there, I hear you type - just an observation. Perhaps that means that there is no right or wrong answer. Both were truly exceptional.

Stevie G, Pepsi Dioxide and Liston73 like this.
  9. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    I typed all that and not a single like. Not a sausage. I also did the post above, one word. Two likes. Honestly you lot.

You've got the attention span of

Vic The Gambler likes this.
  10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Jofre. Saldivar is high on the list too. Both higher than Ali.

11. Liston73

Liston73 Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 8, 2022
    I liked it!

12. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    You did, indeed. You are a pearl among swine, mate.

13. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Jofre probably #1. Griffith, Ortiz, Harada all have a decent case over Ali if we are talking strictly in the 60s, but Ali was majestic during his reign. Rodriguez, Saldivar, Tiger all had great decades too. 60s was incredible.

Bokaj likes this.
  14. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    How’s that? Patterson was KO’d by Ali in their head to head, plus KO’d twice by Liston and two further defeats.
    Ali was unbeaten throughout the decade and yes he had a few close scrapes and controversial wins over Liston, but nowhere on this planet has Patterson got a bigger claim than Ali in the 1960s.

15. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Haha! This one deserves 100 likes!