Who knows how good Yancey Durham was as a boxing trainer?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MRBILL, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Folks,

We all know Yank Durham was the head trainer for Joe Frazier in Joe's prime, but Yank would soon suffer a stroke and die suddenly leaving Eddie Futch to take control of the Frazier camp...

However, the issue is, just how good was Yank Durham? What is his standing on the list of ATG trainers? He was still shy of age 60 when he croaked, so his career was cut short and it must hinder his legacy to a degree...

I noticed Google and Bing have some info on Yank Durham, but not as much as I'd like to see...

How does this man (Durham) stand in the annals of boxing trainers?:huh

SR.BILLARDO:hat

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    He was perfect for Frazier and did a lot of work with him. Futch was the assistant but Eddie was no big name in the sport in the late 60's. That all came into play a little bit later.

Me, I think Yank Durham was as important to Joe Frazier as Goldman was to Marciano.

3. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
  4. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Many years ago,i watched Joe Frazier train in a hotel in Sullivan County, NY. After Frazier finished his training and sparring Yank Durham remained to chat with me and another man. He was very gracious and patient with us,and I recall Durham's high regard for Rocky Marciano. I was saddened to hear of Yank Durham's death soon after. Frazier and him, seemed very close to each other...

5. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    Nice.:good

MR.BILL:hat

6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Certain trainers were made for certain fighters. How diverse was Yank? I recall an article on Len Hutchins, who was a very nice boxer, and he spoke of his stay with Yank Durham. Hutchins stated how he tried to get Hutchins into a crouch to work the body and to sling over the big punches. I laughed reading Hutchins squealing, "Big punches? I was a boxer! He was trying to turn me into another Joe Frazier!" I recall Kevin Rooney doing the same thing with Jeremy Williams. He tried to turn the poor kid into another Tyson. The same moves, but a different size engine. I think Yank was definitely made for Frazier. As for Futch, now that man was diverse. That was an exceptional trainer. And he was well known in the 60's, but on the west coast. He had a good relationship with Jackie McCoy and worked a lot of his corners including Don Jordan and Mando Ramos. Maybe not as head trainer but learned his craft well and became head trainer of Ken Norton and Hedgemon Lewis in the late 60s.

Scartissue

7. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Durham, Futch & Frazier beat Ali.

Durham was not affected by Ali's rants at all.