Who Punched Harder: Deontay Wilder or Rocky Marciano?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VeryMoistWalrus, Apr 8, 2021.

Who had more power; Wilder or Marciano

1. Mariano

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Wilder

62 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. VeryMoistWalrus

VeryMoistWalrus New Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Who do you think punched harder? Id imagine it might use the logic of long strides vs short strides in sprinting, but i know jack about physics so i could be wrong.

2. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
  3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    It depends on the situation. If Wilder gets enough space he can put anybody on their back, but his power isn’t as effective if he’s crowded. Like Shavers he needed space to maximize his power. A good example is when he fought Duhaupas, who stayed low and close, so Wilder could never get the optimal space or target he needed to deliver the knockout blow.

Marciano’s power on the otherhand was most effective when punching out of the crouch, since his short arms when he was up close were very deceiving to the eye and allowed him to punch with his opponent and land first with all his weight behind it, but when he punched standing straight up his power was a lot less effective. This was very noticeable when he fought guys shorter than himself or his height, since he couldn’t use the crouch as effectively, so he couldn’t put his weight behind his punches like he could against taller opponents.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. janitor

janitor Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am minded to say that Wilder hit harder punch for punch, but it must be noted that Marciano fought a lot more elite opponents, and his KO% held up against them.

BCS8, Toney F*** U, tee_birch and 7 others like this.
  5. Moggy94

Moggy94 Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Marciano probably has more power in both hands as Wilder relies on mostly the right, but Wilder can knock people out with one punch unconscious easier than Marciano, so Wilder.

6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Wilder for one punch power and I don't think it's close. Marciano is better fighter though.

7. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears The Best Fighters Are American Because Nationalism Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Marciano was a great man who never made no scuses about his fights!!!

8. Fergy

Fergy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'd say Wilder but obviously Rocky's the chip away type so his power is used in a different way.. Oh crap it's to early, I don't even know what I'm fookin writing!

mattdonnellon likes this.
  9. Moggy94

Moggy94 Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    That wasn't the question but okay

10. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears The Best Fighters Are American Because Nationalism Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm sorry! I don't concentrate too good when there are other things on my mind. I was just thinking because we used to be a country that believed in all lives. We used to say hello to our neighbors. We used to mow our own lawns. And the grass was only greener on the other side if our neighbor mowed better and didn't cut it too close to the earth and make it look pale and sickly. We used to have pride in ourselves and our nation. We didn't eat this frankenfood and drink this nonalcoholic wine spritzers and other feminized drinks like that. I mean, damn. I just loved Marciano, man. He was the symbol of the country back then. Probably all the way up till Reagan. Now we got all this other crap and the best we got's Wilder.

11. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    lol I don't think anybody but Chok would say Marciano hit harder.

Edit: Forgot the coward @RockyJim

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Reinhardt likes this.
  12. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Marciano's iconic ko over Walcott is chilling to watch to this day.
    Then again, I was deeply impressed with Wilder starching the likes of Breazeale and Ortiz with one crushing punch.

Wilder is significantly larger, and knocked out cold significantly larger opposition. I'd say him.
    But in a P4P sense, it's anyone's guess.

JunlongXiFan and Moggy94 like this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is a great reply.

At full leverage with his best shot it has to be Wilder. But I think Marciano was more clever about how he applied his power shots on the inside and his avreage punch was probably harder than Wilder's average punch. P4P it has to be Marciano though.

14. BELLERS

BELLERS Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Wilder probably, but he punches like people at fun-fairs hitting the punch machine, just crude, no finesse. He's a street fighter.

15. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Joe Louis:"It hurt just to bump into him! "He hit a lot harder than Schmeling!"...
    Joe Walcott:"Louis could take you out with combinations...Rocky was a one punch artist..he threw every punch as hard as he could!"
    Ezzard Charles:"Rocky numbs you all over. Wherever he hits you...he hurts you...the body...the arms...the neck...the head...he was brutal!"
    Archie Moore:"After our fight...I felt like I'd been beaten up all over with rocks! He hit that hard...he had more stamina than anyone!?

louis54 and BCS8 like this.