Who ranks higher in ATG lists usyk or ward

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by LandSwarm, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    LMMFAO

2. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Breidis > Kovalev. There, I said it! Put Kovalev in the ring with Breidis and Breidis smashes him. They're both pretty much the same size as well.

3. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    You're one boring pathetic poster....

4. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Usyk and it's not close. He's the first cruiser ever to dominate an elite SHW and as a massive B-side in their backyard. You could tell in the fight commentary that Roy Jones was pulling for AJ over Usyk, feeling a little shown up that he only beat Johnny Ruiz at home with a bodyguard ref.

DaRealJT likes this.
  5. fistsof steel

fistsof steel Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Tough one both Great but The Heavyweight division apart from 2 Maybe is sub standard....

Salty Dog likes this.
  6. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Most of those guys ward beat, nobody thought they were any good til ward beat them.

catchwtboxing likes this.
  7. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Usyks CW run is very similar to Wards 168 run but I have Usyk edging him there. I've said for years that the Froch/Ward era of 168 was overrated. I rate Kovalev as a better win than AJ as i see him as a slightly stronger champion, despite giving AJ a lot of props that other people outside AJ fanboys can't seem to do. But Usyk outclassed Aj so the win kind of evens out. Usyk overall was more dominate and has shown fewer vulnerabilities against similar opposition which puts him ahead for me. Even if I revisit this in 5 years and rate Wards opposition slightly higher I would probably still give Usyk the nod for being more dominate.

Salty Dog likes this.
  8. 11player

11player Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 19, 2007
  9. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
  10. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Usyk is making it closer with that Joshua win and potential to reign over a second division.

But Ward still takes the cake. Multiple HOF'ers and notable proven commodity titlists. Recency bias and personal favoritism to explain why ya'll musta forgot.

11. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    World Boxing Super Series at CW + HW Champion.
    I see no flaw in Usyk's career other than prejudice.

12. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I don't know how old you are but you sound so young you cannot remember the truth and perhaps I admire you a little for that.

13. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Old enough to know that the division was considered the worst ever when Calzaghe was there. But as soon as ward joined the super six, suddenly it became full of top tier fighters everyone was excited about.

14. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Ohhh, I see where you're coming from. I'm sorry your hero's legacy was easily surpassed by a better fighter in far less fights and time. It's okay. We will pretend they didn't mark Lacy down as a smaller Mike Tyson and that he didn't get far more credit than he deserved for beating him. We'll just rewrite history to make you feel better. Calzaghe is underrated, Ward is overrated, boo, everyone is against my hero, boo.

15. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    This is really close from the point of view of accomplishments but much to my surprise, I am going with Ward. They both cleared out a division that was full of good to very good but not great fighters. Then they moved up and took out a well respected champion at the next weight class.

The reasons I am going with Ward are three fold.

1. Just my opinion but I believe the super middle group which Ward beat was a tad better than the cruisers Usyk took out.
    2. Before Ward beat him, the undefeated Kovalev was considered to be one of the most fearsome men in boxing. Thanks to Andy Ruiz, Joshua's luster had already started to dim.
    3. Ward beat Kovalev twice. Usyk just has the one win over Joshua.

These are two great fighters and if Usyk manages to beat Fury I would move him ahead of Ward.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Salty Dog likes this.