Who should Whyte fight in September?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Jun 11, 2021.

1. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Whyte vs Joe Joyce.

That's the fight i want to see. It would be a great domestic dust up.

Either way it would end with a KO.
    Ultimately, I can see the juggernaut smashing Whytes biscuit chin in that one.

2. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Charles Martin, as mentioned earlier, is a decent choice.

BubblesUK likes this.
  3. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Whyte vs Joyce means that he would lose again.

Joyce should fight Yoka and get his revenge.

Whyte should fight someone like Hrgovic, or at least Ortiz.

4. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Whyte-Ruiz would be a very good fight, but could be too much risk for Whyte now that he's WBC mandatory..

The plan might be an easy touch and get the big fight next year. His chances for some sort of title fight look pretty good no matter what happens in the AJ-Usyk and Fury-Wilder fights. If we have an undisputed at the beginning of next year he's fairly well in line for a shot and if that doesn't happen he's still the mandatory for WBC. If he doesn't lose before then.

So therefore I think he'll be looking more to keep busy fights.

5. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    In all fairness Whyte hasn't avoided risky fights, Parker, Rivas, Povetkin (which backfired on him) and Chisora all whilst being in that mandatory spot. There is no title shot for Whyte in the next 12 months I would confidently bet.

I would bet if he is looking to fight in America then they will be looking for someone established over there. I imagine Ruiz would price himself out of the fight but Ortiz has no options out there and is getting on, would still be a good scalp even at his advanced age.

Quina74 and kostya by ko like this.
  6. BubblesUK

BubblesUK Doesn't buy hypejobs Full Member

May 6, 2021
    Problem is, the only fighter that bout makes sense for is Ortiz - Whyte would get no credit because Ortiz is ancient and well past his best.

Whyte already outranks Ortiz in the WBC ranks and it's not going to get him up any of the other ladders either.

If Whytes going to fight someone old, he'd probably gain more by fighting Pulev... it'll probably be someone younger and shitter, though.

7. BubblesUK

May 6, 2021
    "These days"?

Remind me when Ortiz ever beat anyone north of gatekeeper level?

Boxingfan2 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  8. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    No, not saying Whyte has avoided risky fights. Just that he's in a position right now that it makes sense to do so until he gets a title shot.

If no unification takes place he's in line for a shot at the WBC title next year, most likely against Fury. That would be huge money, so why take any risks in the mean time? Even if there is a unification at the end of this year or beginning oi the next, he's probably not too far away from a shot. So why rock the boat with risky fights before that?

BubblesUK likes this.
  9. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    You’re right, Ortiz is a waste of time. Whyte should fight Ruiz who publicly ducked the same Ortiz(still appears to be ducking him) to fight the corpse of Arreola instead.

10. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    My point is that he has been mandatory since 2018 and it hasn't stopped him taking risky fights so far. Unless the Povetkin loss will make him and his team more cautious which I doubt then I reckon he will carry on taking the other fights out there. I honestly don't feel we will see him get a shot any time in the next 18 months if I'm honest.

11. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    :sisi1 Yeah, that crossed my mind when posting as well. At any rate he's firmly a bum beater now, and not worthy of any top fighter's time.

BubblesUK likes this.
  12. CroBox29

CroBox29 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Hrgovic has been training hard and needs an opponent, give him Whyte...

13. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Yup. Ruiz is far more relevant to today's HW scene, and has the win over Joshua still fresh in a lot of American fans' eyes. Ortiz is a nobody who laughably continues to get 'ducked' by top fighters while taking on some of the worst dregs of the division he and his team can come up with. It's pretty obvious which would be the bigger and more beneficial fight for Whyte to take.

If you're trying to insinuate that Ruiz is/was scared of Ortiz and is thus in some way inferior to him, that's not the way things work. And frankly I wouldn't be confident picking Ortiz to beat anyone in the top ten anymore. He's simply not proven he's relevant to the conversation and looks like he never will.

BubblesUK likes this.
  14. BubblesUK

May 6, 2021
    Has he ever had a "top fighter's time"? :stirrpot

I jest, Wilder may be limited but he was relevant at very least whilst he held the WBC belt.

15. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Well yeah, Jennings and Wilder for sure. Outside if that it's Thompson, Scott, Hammer then a bunch of no-names (and Dave Allen).