Who Stands The Best Chance Of Victory Over Prime Louis.Frazier or Marciano?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Feb 23, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Frazier was dropped by Mike Bruce and Bonavena ,against Bruce he was a green novice,was Moore a harder puncher than Bonavena at heavyweight? I say it is open to question ,what you say ?Well ,WGAF?:sisigay:
    His amateur credentials look pretty solid to me.

Frazier's amateur record is usually listed as 38-2, with 37 knockouts. Other sources claim 38-1, 38-3 and 38-4

2. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Marciano wasn't as easy to hit as many people think he was. Watch the Ali Marciano computer bout and see how many times Ali misses. In contrast Ali kept catching Frazier coming in easily. There is also the question of whose chin was sturdier. Frazier was TKOd while Marciano wasn't. Joe Louis was also KOD.

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You think a computer fight in which punches were pulled is a valid vehicle for comparison to an actual fight? Frazier was tkod' when past his best and stopped by a monstrous hitting 217lbs and 224 lbs prime all time great puncher.Remind me again of the names of those that Marciano met that fit that category.

4. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Joe Louis is poison for both Marciano and Frazier...If Frazier lasts past seven his chances increase dramatically...that's a BIG IF...Marciano applies pressure but is less frenetic...it's more measured, at least initially...For that reason...Marciano.

5. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Marciano would definitely beat Frazier. Frazier hook would be trumped by Rockys shorter right hand.

Neither fighters beats Prime Louis. The best Louis just had too many tools....great boxer, ko puncher with either fist. Louis would have an easier time with Frazier as he would side step to his left keeping Joe turning to try landing his hook. All the while Louis looks to block that hook and counter. A quick counter hurts Joe early and Louis finishes him off...probably within five rounds.

6. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

I agree.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Interesting because I think Frazier's greater pace gives him a better chance than Rocky.

8. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I see your point. But that pace opens him up for some serious incoming...it's a catch-22. Quite frankly, Louis cracks both of them imo.

mcvey likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I pick Louis myself and in return I do see your point.

10. MUFA$A

MUFA$A FEAR * THE * TANK Full Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Am i the only here who sees Joe Louis as a bad matchup for Joe Frazier?

Prime Louis would maul the hell out of Frazier. In my eyes it will be a one sided beating.

Marciano stands a better chance compared to smoking Joe, Although he's not going to look too pretty himself win or lose againt Louis.

reznick likes this.
  11. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Yep! You are right. My mistake for remembering reading it and taking it for granted that it was accurate and not just a personal opinion of some fanatical Marciano fan.

However, Marciano's defense looks better to me than does Frazier's. Marciano seemed more cautious in closing the distance while Frazier seems to be willing to wade in counting on his left hook ad forcing the opponent to the ropes. On the other hand, Ali was allowed to get away with cuffing behind the head which is illegal. So that reduced Frazier's effectiveness considerably.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Frazier for me. He's more relentless and will present Louis with less openings.

That being said I don't favour either of them.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Kudos for being big enough to acknowledge you are wrong, it is far from the norm!
    Ps I'm sincerely hope you enjoy your time here!

14. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Although it was long enough for Archie to Put Rocky on the deck.

15. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Frazier was floored 2x in a New Jersey amateur boxing match, and if memory serves also was floored in the Olympics.

By his own words he was close to a KO loss vs Bonavena, Stunned by Bugner who hardly landed much, had his knees buckled by Stander who hardly landed much...there are other cases. Frazier would not take Louis punches well, he'd have to spark him quickly

Rocky took a better punch, was physically much stronger, and had a better all around ( but not faster ) attack.

Who says you need to be fast vs Joe Louis? Didn't B Bear and Galento floor Louis? Yep. So did Braddock. And Louis could not recover from the first big right hand Schmeling landed. IMO, Rocky hits harder than Schmeling is much better than others who floored Louis.

Louis once said Marciano could hurt you by bumping into him. Something like that. No worries, I do not want a marathon thread on Louis saying he could never beat Marciano because he didn't like to be crowded. But some here think he said exactly that.