Who was greater ...Lennox Lewis or Joe Calzaghe?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bronze Tiger, Jul 14, 2019.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
  2. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Calzaghe win over a prime undefeated Kessler puts him a level above Hatton.

I belive Calzaghe vs Hopkins is always competetive, prime Jones doesn't count as he's not human

Hatton showed his level when he wasn't even competetive with Floyd or pac

Gatekeeper, emallini and Bronze Tiger like this.
  3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Agree entirely, though I don’t think Calzaghe vs Jones prime for prime is a foregone conclusion.

moog, Bulldog24, EJC83 and 1 other person like this.
  4. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Lewis by a very long stretch.

Calzaghe wasted so many years doing nothing in fights nobody really remembers and nobody wanted to see at the time.

5. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Can’t really argue with that.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  6. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    For me Calzaghe was more of an education to watch. Lewis always talks about the "Sweet Science" but Calzaghe had more up his sleeve in my opinion.

I'm going to be biased because I'm a Welshman and Calzaghe is arguably my favourite boxer but I'd be interested to see how Lewis would have done had he had smashed up hands for the final third of his career and had to change to way he operated in the ring.

Bronze Tiger and Up the gut like this.
  7. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    We always talk about Calzaghe with a huge caveat, and that's the fact that his record is so poor.

If Lewis had badly injured himself, he could have not fought Holyfield for a few years, not fought Tyson until later, never fought Klitschko, and rely on people saying Michael Grant was a huge danger fight.

I rated Calzaghe massively as a fighter. But compared to Lennox his CV is far weaker. Had he fought a younger Jones, or Pavlik/Taylor/Froch/Woods/Dawson/Tarver/Johnson as well as those he did beat (perhaps at the expense of some of the rubbish like Manfredo/Ashira/Mkrtchyan/Salem) then it would be a legitimate question.

zulander, Bronze Tiger and ryanm8655 like this.
  8. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    By far the two best British fighters ever. Lewis is number due to having a superior resume.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  9. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Worst post in history.

10. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    I'm not huge on Lennox, seeing him outboxed and outfoxed by Bruno and Mercer past their bests, and even a shadow of Holyfield in the rematch. When he was punching holes in a shell of Tyson, he looked too scared to go in and take him out in three or four rounds which he should've done.

He did prove himself against Vitali, though, being beaten up and losing and staying in there.

He's certainly not near the fighter Ken Buchanan or John Conteh were in the modern era, and obviously streets and streets behind a Wilde, Ted Kid or Bob Fitz.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  11. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
  12. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I mean your not wrong. When both were at their best in the rematch old past prime Holyfield was a bit better than peak Lewis.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  13. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Lennox, but as many have said Calzaghe is a great. Lennox did it all though, fought everyone he could (Bowe famously ducked him) and came back from adversity before retiring on top.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Thought Hatton gave Floyd his toughest night myself until he ran out of steam late on.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  15. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Really? More than Castillo and Oscar?

Easy to make a case for Castillo winning the first. I thought De La Hoya lost but it was close. Also if we're talking post-Hatton the first Maidana fight and the Cotto fight were closer than Ricky.

Bronze Tiger and ryanm8655 like this.