Who was the earliest world champion you are convinced used PEDs?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 8, 2018.

1. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Weaver and Norton are fishy no?

Pat M, cross_trainer and vast like this.
  2. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    I read the same about him too

3. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    On page 26 in this paper there are two witness accounts of the usage in the 1968 Olympics and it is also mentioned that one of the doctors on the 1968 American Olympic high-altitude team advocated medically supervised usage of steroids: http://www.kawasaki-m.ac.jp/soc/mw/journal/en/2006-e12-1/01_kremenik.pdf

Jel likes this.
  4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    My view atm is the people caught juicing do not represent all of the people who are juicing.

I really do think it's rife and prevalent in the sport to the point where those who are 100% clean are the minority.

With regards to testing. It's something that should be done at a much higher standard to the point where it isn't worth juicing any more.

cross_trainer and Jel like this.
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I dont think so they already looked that way in there Marine pics from the 60's.
    I personally dont think so. Weaver still looks great and Norton besides his handicaps looked good til he passed away.

The Senator likes this.
  6. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Not true. Trash talking was always present in boxing. James Corbett was a well known trash talker. All the other heavy weights of the day...Sullivan, Fitzsimmons, Jeffries....trash talked. Of course, one of the all time best was Jack Johnson, but we wasn't alone in this area.

Thor Odinson likes this.
  7. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Bokaj likes this.
  8. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    Weaver got really fat actually G but you’re right about Norton could I see there Marine pictures? Never seen anything about Kens time in the marines any info or pics would be a treat Bob.

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I will do my best to find them on my regular computer. I suck at computers lol. Give me a day or two

WAR01 likes this.
  10. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Jack Dempsey smocked crack for the Flynn fight.

WAR01 and young griffo like this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Agreed. Imagine if a cyclist or a sprinter was caught for the amount of **** Evan Fields was, no one would give them half as much of a pass.

Bokaj, cross_trainer and Berlenbach like this.
  12. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    you would need to be on crack to have the balls to get in the ring with that H2H monster.

13. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bob Hazelton, who was mentioned earlier in the thread, is a good case study, IMO. According to his own (admittedly questionable) account, he only started using steroids after Foreman beat him up. (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-01-01-8902220419-story,amp.html)

He was fighting in an era where I suspect steroids were rarer than today among boxers, so we have a better opportunity to see the advantage you might get from steroid use.

Compare his record before and after he started using. Multiple losses in a row beforehand. And then a steady climb afterwards. Not miraculous, but it's a good sized jump compared to where he started: https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/105.

If two fighters are near each other in talent, I would expect the one who uses PEDs to have a big advantage. And most contenders are close to each other in talent. If anybody in the current upper echelons isn't using PEDs, he must have been born freakishly talented even compared with the absolute peak athletes around him. And he must also have an unusually noble sense of fair play.

choklab and Bokaj like this.
  14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    One thing that does need to be added is that there are degrees of taking steorids. There is maxing out the amount you take, blaming your system as full of drugs as possible in order to achieve the most enormous advantage achievable, and then there is cycling in and out on your way back from injury in order to reclaim a summit you reached before you did your achillies.

I'm not excusing the latter, but there is a difference.

Viewed form here, yes, all modern boxers, probably, have used PEDs.

cross_trainer likes this.
  15. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    And a further conflated issue is the false apologies of those who use the latter as an excuse to disguise the former.

I prefer those like Chael Sonnen, Lance Armstrong and Larry Olubamiwo who do a full disclosure once they've been caught.

James Toney is still adamant he pissed hot because he was treating a shoulder injury. Do we really believe it?

TJ Dillshaw is adamant he pissed hot because he was injured and cutting weight. Do we really believe it?