Who was the harder hitter, Dempsey or Baer

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bullet, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Bullet

Bullet Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2014
    ?

Thoughts on this

2. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dempsey could hurt you badly with both hands and was faster in combination, Baer may have had more single punch power (his power resulted in the death of 2 men ) both could bang hard

3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, as Bummy said, both could bang, but Baer was in a class by himself as a puncher. Too bad he was a head case and not dedicated...with better training methods, and access to better techniques, he could have been much better than he was. He had all the physical attributes a fighter could want, especially a first class chin.

4. Bullet

Jul 24, 2014
    1 man, right ? Who Baer really stopped with one punch ? Didn't Dempsey knocked out Fulton with a single one ?

Dempsey vs Willard is more impressive as a display of power to me than Baer vs Schmeling or Carnera.

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I would be inclined to say Baer, because he didn’t have much apart from power.

A lot of what Dempsey did was based on superior technique.

6. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Baer only killed Frankie Campbell as far as I'm aware of, the Ernie Schaaf death attributed to him is a total myth. When Schaaf passed away from a jab administered by Primo Carnera the media couldn't believe such a mild punch could be a fatal blow, so they began to trump up the knockdown at the end of Schaaf's loss to Baer as the real culprit. Hogwash. Schaaf fought four more times after his loss to Baer and more importantly acquired menigitis and resumed his career far to swiftly which led to entering the ring against the Da preem, with a swollen brain and lethargic body.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Baer was a head case ... King Levinsky was never ko'ed before the Louis bout at the end of is career .. Baer fought him to a twenty round decision in 32 .. in 34, in what was to be a friendly exhibition, King got cute and an enraged Baer absolutely iced him .. I am not one of those that think Baer had the skills to be an all time great but he was a nasty puncher .. both guys hit like monsters ..

go to 4:30 or so ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Xh4WUGq24

8. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    I would say Baer. He was the bigger man and seemed to carry more power in his shots.

9. tommytheduke

tommytheduke Active Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Agree with janitor. Jack had the superior technique, but Max hit harder.

10. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Max Baer hitting "harder" than Jack Dempsey is nonsense. He at best was a puncher like a Rocky Graziano lobbing hand grenades easy to avoid, whilst a Dempsey hit with great handspeed and torque needing very little punching room to dispatch his man...

11. heavy_handss

heavy_handss Guest

The nonsense is your comment . Baer did hit harder

12. Bullet

Jul 24, 2014
    I liked this :deal

13. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Ring magazine did a list of the 100 hardest punchers of all time in 2003 they rated Dempsey 7 and Baer 22.

I do believe Dempsey took out guys with historically better beards for what it's worth.
    Both were dynamite punchers. Dempsey's left hook vs Max's overhand right.

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    After decades participating and following this sport I don't know what a HARDER hitter is… but I do know what a BETTER hitter is… And Dempsey was a BETTER hitter.