Who Was The Hardest Puncher Marciano Met?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Probably Willie Besmanoff.Besmanoff was only ko'd twice in his first fight at the age of 19 and by Foster when he was 31.
    13 fight Foster kod him in 3 rds, Foster was conceding 22lbs.
    Besmanoff was stopped by Moore in the 10th and last round of their fight but he was on his feet .Moore at 206.5lbs was 8 lbs heavier than Besmanoff.
    Besmanoff was stopped by Liston, but it was by cuts.

Besmanoff fought Moore twice going the distance in one ,though he was floored once, he lost the second on a tko whilst on his feet.
    Besmanoff went the distance with Folley x2.Miteff x2 DeJohn x2 Baker, Carter,Marshall,Durelle,King,Machen,McMurtry,Cleroux,Rademacher.

An 8 fight Foster also dropped a name you " Marciano Rockettes" like to throw around Bert Whitehurst ,in his last fight Whitehurst had gone the distance without being floored by Mike DeJohn.

Yeah I'll go for Besmanoff.
    Question answered.:good

2. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Well, Besmanoff was actually knocked out by Ali.

The ref just waived the fight off with Besmanoff out on his back instead of counting. He was out of action for over a year after this loss.

[url]http://www.theslot.com/ali/besman.html[/url]

By this point, Besmanoff had already been stopped four times by Chuvalo, Moore, Lavorante(boxrec reports a cut but articles cite a right hand to the whiskers stopping him after the cut), and Liston in bad beatings and appeared to be on the slide after once being one of the sturdier guys of the late 50s.

3. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    As far as desperate, and feeble excuses for a fighters performances go,

" It wasn't Fosters lack of power that stopped him succeeding in the Heavy division. Rather it was because he wasn't heavy enough " takes the biscuit.

Priceless. LMFAO

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont know the details of the Ali fight, I went by boxrec.

Stopped but not ko'd.
    I think he is probably the best ko scalp for Foster among the big boys. Especially as he was giving him 22 lbs.

5. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011

Besmanoff had a total of 93 fights.

In his first 76 fights, prior to his initial meeting with Chuvalo, Besmanoff was only stopped 3 times, in his first fight with Heinz Schreiber, on cuts by Liston, and by Moore.

In his last 17 fights, Besmanoff was stopped 8 times (7 in 16 fights if we remove the Foster fight) and didn't beat or even last with anyone of particular note. He was clearly a fighter badly on the skids, and listing the big punchers he lasted with earlier in his career doesn't mean much for this past it stage.

*Just an aside. Does anyone have a ringside report on the Foster-Besmanoff fight. It seems to have been pretty obscure bout in Norfolk, Virginia, hardly a boxing hotbed.

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Stopped but not ko'd. But let's not give the 22lbs lighter, 13fight, Foster any credit for it,it gets in the way of some posters agenda.

7. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    Bob Satterfield

Even if we accept that Satterfield was a bigger puncher than Moore, it means nothing concerning Foster. I think Satterfield was a much bigger puncher than Foster, but not as good an overall fighter.

However, looking at the records, it is certainly not clear that Satterfield was the more effective puncher.

The two mean share twelve opponents. Satterfield stopped three of them, Bob Baker and Boardwalk Billy Smith for the count, and Frankie Daniels on cuts. He was unable to knock out nine of them.

Moore stopped seven of the twelve. Boardwalk Billy Smith, Charley Williams (twice), and Howard King for the count, Holman Williams, Harold Johnson, Bob Baker, Smith again, and Bert Whitehurst (twice) by stoppages.

In fairness to Satterfield, he simply didn't have as many fights with these opponents as Moore did, giving Moore extra chances, but the only man Satterfield stopped that Moore didn't, Frankie Daniels, faced Satterfield twice, with one TKO loss, while losing his only fight to Moore on a decision.

Records against common opponents--Satterfield 7-8 with 3 KO's (two for the count)

Moore--26-3-2 with 10 KO's (4 for the count)

Not much to choose from, actually.

One of the problems with this comparison, though, is that Satterfield was an all-out slugger with a throw caution to the wind him or me style.

Moore was a cagy boxer-puncher, content to outbox an opponent, and rarely got into wild slugfests. He was not likely to run risks by letting it all hang out in the early rounds.

8. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    And Moore gave up 34 lbs. to Embrell Davidson and took him out with one punch. Using these taking the count standards, no one else had actually KO'd Davidson and only one other would ever do it five years later.

And no one but Moore ever put Alberto Lovell down for the count, which Moore seems to have done in 46 seconds, Moore giving up 24 lbs.

*Personally, I don't like using KO's versus TKO's as this simply punishes the fighter if the referee intervenes.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont think there's any doubt Satterfield hit harder than Moore,Marciano ,commenting on one of his fights described his power as "tremendous."
    He just wasn't as good a fighter as Moore.
    Satterfield let it all hang out going for broke and sometimes got caught as a result.
    In comparison Moore was a surgeon,a trapsetter he would probe and peck looking for an opening without exposing himself to danger.
    Moore often had trouble getting his weight down because he loved food , but Satterfield was the original party animal.

Stats don't give us the full picture, Satterfield took Baker out with a right and left, when Bob got careless . Moore didn't floor Baker, he just gradually reduced him to a helpless state, all the while keeping clear of reprisals.
    Moore would never have put himself in harms way as Satterfield did in that fight.

10. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't disagree with much on this post,

but the Baker fights with Moore and Satterfield I think point to the problem of trying to quantify power.

Baker got himself into a slugging match with Satterfield (I have seen the film of this one) and got caught.

I have never seen a film of Moore-Baker and don't know if one exists, but there is a big write-up on boxrec, and it appears Moore was content to box for a few rounds before turning up the juice, while Baker seems to have just boxed cautiously. He probably learned a lesson from the Satterfield fight. Boxrec comments on Baker "retreating throughout the fight." Moore still seems to have punched him into helplessness with the referee stepping in with Baker reeling.

Bottom line is that Baker's record points to his being a durable fighter, stopped only by three of the hardest hitters of his time--Henry, Satterfield, and Moore.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've seen it too with, Marciano commentating,I thought I described it[from memory] pretty much as it happened?

Satterfield koin'g Baker with a right-left is more impressive to me than a steady beat down that reduced him to a crawl

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The Davidson ko is impressive it would be foolish to deny it. Davidson had been stopped in his previous fight by Henry, but not ko'd, and Henry could whack a bit.
    I'd like to point out that Lovell was 39years old, having his last fight when he met Moore.You mention that Besmanoff was on the skids ,wouldn't that equally apply to a 39 year old fighter having his last fling?

13. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Moore was the last man to stop Baker.

Baker would have many fights in the next 5 years as both a contender and gate keeper to the next round of contenders. He would go the distance with Holman, Valdez, Jackson, Harris, Machen, DeJohn, Toxie, Carter, and even in a late career upset of Chuvalo.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It would be foolish to deny that the Davidson ko was not impressive.Davidson had been stopped in his previous fight just a few months earlier by Henry , but still a good performance.
    I'd like to point out that Lovell was 39 years old, having his last fight.
    You referred to Besmanoff as being on the skids,would that not equally apply to Lovell whose record is striking for its lack of both names and punchers?

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Toxie Hall who was he , apart from Marciano's sparring partner?
    Who was the last man to ko Ezzard Charles ?

George Logan 10-0-1 What does that actually signify?

Bottom line, only 2 men ko'd Baker, and Moore was neither of them.