Who were the top 10 Brit fighters of all time and how well would they do if active in today`s game?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 28, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Warrington has a higher work-rate than Saldivar had and higher held guard, Saldivar used more head movement.

2. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Calzaghe imo is the greatest fighter we have ever had in the uk, i have not rewatched any fighters past fights more than Joe's.

Everybody mentions Joe's performance against Lacey but this wasn't calzaghe at his best he was so many levels above Lacey.

Joe's best performances were against the unbeaten Kessler who he beat in an incredible all round performance, his performance against Jones was incredible, I know jones was not in his prime but joe just played with him ate his power for 12 rounds and just completely made a fool of him, of course Roy 10 years earlier would have been a bigger test but I still think calzaghe beats him on points wide, just to busy ,relentless .

I just wish he had fought froch because froch would have taken a schooling like no other and he wouldn't be such an arrogant ***** now because of it.

for everybody who thinks froch had a chance just remember groves completely schooled froch for 8 rounds, no disrespect to a great solid pro in groves but can you imagine what joe would do to froch it would have been a embarrassing 12 round complete shut out.

We have had some great over the years calzaghe it the top of the tree , any era i think he would have reigned supreme.

EJC83, iamthegreatest and mark ant like this.
  3. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Completely agree, Calzaghe number 1 for me.

Would anyone put AJ/Gypsy King anywhere near their top 10?

EJC83 likes this.
  4. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Clearly a legend of the sport that had a rocket of a right hand for his size but let's take the nostalgia tinted glasses off.

He fought over 100 years ago, sports and sportsman evolve. He always weighed under 7 stone (98 pounds) and your telling me he'd be knocking out guys of this era (Inoue and the likes...) who also box in an era of day before weigh ins so can come in even heavier.

So whilst an ATG of yesteryear, I have to disagree.

Same goes for the likes of Bob Fitzsimmons that I've seen mentioned in this thread. Watch film of him and within the first few seconds you'll see just how much the sport + fighters have developed...... someone like a Canelo or GGG would go through him no bother.

5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Yup, Calzaghe was just on another level, he overworks anyone.

I'd say that Fury is in with a shout if he beats AJ.

6. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    It has to be Lennox for me with Calzaghe in second spot.

Calzaghe was a ****ing brilliant fighter he could everything inside the ring but his resume simply doesn't stack up in comparison to Lennox who effectively beat a who's who of a strong 90's heavyweight division

Eubank
    Reid
    Lacy
    Kessler
    Hopkins
    Roy Jones (washed up)

VS

Holyfield
    Mercer
    Golota
    Razor Ruddock
    McCall
    Tua
    Morrison
    Vitali
    Bruno
    Tyson (washed up)

Mitch87 likes this.
  7. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    I do agree with you regarding Lewis but I guess Calzaghe could only beat who was in front of him. I suppose he just missed the golden era before and a very competitive era after him, where as Lewis was able to compete in a much more stacked division.

Both of them have huge names on their records but they were always past their prime when they beat them. Having said that, Lewis has some Ls on his record. It's certainly an interesting debate to have!

8. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Still think Warrington beats Hamed Mark?

9. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Have you been drinking?

Noel857 likes this.
  10. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    That’s enough internet for you today.

Noel857 likes this.
  11. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    calzaghe at 1, ok then. All hail the WBO title and Mario Veit. Clueless.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Maybe I overrated Warrington but Hamed is overrated too.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Calzaghe was more skilled than Eubank and Benn, neither man beat the best guy at 160 and they never beat the best guy at 168 either despite Benn beating a killer like G-man.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Bud is better P4P than the other fighters I mentioned past and present.

15. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019