Who were the top 10 Brit fighters of all time and how well would they do if active in today`s game?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    If there’s anything B-Hop loves, its someone who doesn’t throw many punches. Not saying he would definitely beat Canelo but its a close fight and a tough style for Canelo to overcome.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    How many years do you think he would have gone unbeaten if he turmed pro the same time and age as Frampton did?

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    B-hop prefer to counter than Lead, he landed a lot of leads against fighters that were defensively poor compared to Canelo and B-hop would get countered a lot by Canelo who is a better counter puncher than anybody B-hop beat.

4. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    I would say Winky Wright is a better counter puncher than Canelo

Tankatron and Noel857 like this.
  5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No way, Canelo is contantly looking for counter hooks, punches Wright rarely landed, he was more of a straight puncher, name the fight where Winky landed more counters than Canelo does on average. Wright couldn`t pressure B-hop the way Canelo would, he was not a pressure fighter nor was he a counter/pressure fighter like Canelo is.

6. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    Quite on the contrary I would say Winky definitely was a counter punching pressure fighter. He marched forward with that high guard, shifting his head and using angles for his counters. Just because Winky didn’t use counter hooks too often - he preferred to to slip under a straight shot such as a sloppy jab with a straight counter - doesn’t limit him as a counter puncher.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He couldn`t cut the ring off like Canelo and stood too far from his opponents to land as many counters, b-hop baffled him with ease.

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Winky was brilliant but I'd have to disagree

9. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    It wasn’t that Wright was baffled, it was that he had to box a way he wasn’t comfortable doing with a bad cut that inexplicably wasn’t ruled a head but when it was.

I rate Canelo a lot - I think he’s the best boxer about today. But he isn’t a perfect fighting machine like you’re making out - and any time he boxes a pure counter puncher himself he struggles badly - Lara, Mayweather and Trout gave him big problems. Anyone that can move and control the distance - problems again (Khan, Jacobs) and for spells of their fight, Kovalev managed to control the range with a long, strong jab.

10. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Frampton is not better than Hamed!

zulander and Noel857 like this.
  11. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Joe Calzaghe is up there, but we're forgetting another Welshman - lightweight Freddie Welsh.

Before another certain 'Wizard' took over, Freddie fought anyone and everyone. Just look at the names on his record. Packey McFarland, Benny Leonard, Jim Driscoll (another Welsh great), Abe Attell, Johnny Dundee, Willie Ritchie, Charley White...

Joe kept his zero but Freddie has him for depth.

12. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    I think prime Honeyghan could stop Bud Crawford because Bud will be going for it so I can see Lloyd over powering him. Spence beats Lloyd.

13. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Barrera is an all time great, Frampton and Warrington are not.

Noel857 likes this.
  14. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    This is the same Warrington that was just knocked spark out by a Mexican journey man.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Fair enough but Hamed was not a world class fighter, he had dreadful fundamentals.