Who wins? DeGale or Eubank Jr?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Howitzer1888, Jun 8, 2017.

Who wins?

1. James DeGale

2. Chris Eubank Jr.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    CEJ wins a decision, DeGale lost to Jack, was lazy against Porky Medina, this is a close fight but I'd favor CEJ.

2. Brad Tocque

Brad Tocque New Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2017
    The same result as the BJS fight. Eubanks got a great engine but he doesn't beat an elite level boxer like degale. Degale would be the bigger man in there and I don't think Eubank punches hard enough to cause him problems. But degale does go to sleep for some rounds in fights and I think eubank could capitalise on that and create a competitive fight where degale gets the decision by 2 or 3 rounds

Twentyman and Howitzer1888 like this.
  3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Agreed. Skills beat engine all day long.

4. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Does anyone think Quinlan gets past 3 with Degale, Smith or Groves who I hugely dislike but is levels above CEJ who's father was my favourite fighter at one point? Degale close or not has beat Jack, Bute and Dirrell recently all on the road

5. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I thought he lost to Jack as well. Jack is a beast though, I think he would destroy CEJ.

6. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Billy Joe Saunders who isn't the biggest of middleweights had Eubank on the backfoot on the edge of his jab for the first half their fight....I can only imagine what Jack would do to him. He gave Degale a torrid time but he'd stop Eubank no shadow of a doubt in my mind. He'd beat him up good and proper.

Any fighter with quality lateral movement would cause a very one dimensional fighter like Eubank a load of problems.

yesihavearm2 likes this.
  7. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Degale would box his head off early. Eubank is completely flat footed and has very little power. I thought he looked average for 6 rounds against Quinlan. Quinlan himself said he was never worried by the power but he did gas.

Eubank is very fit and honestly don't understand why people see him getting knocked out by fighter a, b or c. I think he has a good chin to be honest. However, skil wise he doesn't have the fundamentals to challenge Degale, unless Degale gasses or fights in the pocket all night. It's a mismatch really. I also think Degale has an underrated chin. The Jack knock down was exhaustion and never seen him troubled aside from that.

Groves would be more interesting. Only because Groves to me is still more vulnerable and he will try and throw bombs with Eubank. If Eubank hangs tough I think Groves could be in trouble down the stretch.

im sparticus likes this.
  8. Solarse

Solarse Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Eubanks all day long, degale is finished

9. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    That was his first 12 round fight. Just saying... More or less any other name this would be mentioned more often, but Eubank doesn't seem to get a pass.

Any other name and there would be more kudos for facing BJS (who I like) in the first twelve-rounder. I think he got the pacing wrong that night, but had there been a thirteenth round I know who I think would have won the fight.

10. dfgtruk

dfgtruk New Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Eubank stops Degale in later rounds.

11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I think he took him too lightly mate. Said he was gonna spark him in 6 or 7 rounds.

I don't think it was about him getting his pacing wrong. He was trying to drag BJS into a scrap because that's the only way he knows how to fight. BJS simply never let him with his jab and lateral movement, slipping and sliding any attempts by Eubank to move in on the inside.

From round 6 he finally started succeeding in doing that but even then, he was copping a number of eye catching shots from BJS and was still losing some rounds.

Eubank is the fitter fighter, he's got a very good engine but fights are 12 rounds, not 13 or 14 so it's irrelevant.

12. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Eubank Jr is awful at coming forward, he simply can't. He's one of the worst I've seen at that. He kind of takes a big step in and crounches in front of you statically?! Billy Joe easily picked him off side-on and boxed around him. DeGale is a back-foot runner, a southpaw like Billy Joe, tall and rangey and rolls his shoulders. Unless DeGale just lays on the ropes a lot, and has enough fitness, he can win a wide decision. If Eubank Jr is super-persistent, though, and James takes rests on the ropes, Eubank Jr would beat the living hell out of him.

Put a guy in front of Eubank Jr, or someone with nowhere to go, and he'll eat you alive. Have you seen his combo work, how vicious he is on bags and pads and so on? We are talking 12-15 shot combos at full power each. In fights we have seen 8 uppercuts on the inside in a row etc, banging hooks downstairs and coming up with great velocity. He is mentally very dark, mentally very strong, and physically very, very strong. DeGale has to run. It's a real contrast.

13. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Put a gun to my head I'm saying Jr late in all honesty.

14. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Don't know what jnr has do we yet.

Had shown good chin, unorthodox style, engine and throws massive volume

Degale has fought like 5 or 6 opponents better than bjs and gone neck and neck with all of them

He's bigger than eubank too

Would love to see it though

Stylistically think it's great match up

15. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    If they were to fight tomorrow id pick degale.
    If eubanks beats AA and then somehow got a rematch with bjs, id expect him to beat billy. Then i reckon that his chances of beating degale would greatly increase and could well beat james.
    But at this moment in time im going degale. Mainly because of the points already raised by other posters and the experience james has of fighting at a higher level. The last time eubanks was in a pressure situation i.e bjs he crumbled. Id expect the same vs degale at this time