Who wins: Roy Jones Jr. Vs Young Stribling

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Mar 12, 2019.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Stribling had a slight reach advantage and better footwork, could he outbox Jones at range? Maybe slow him down with body punches in the rushes, and rought him up to a victory?

Decent amount of footage of Stribling for you folks to analyse.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Need some time to think. Is there a particular weight you are looking at?

Jackomano likes this.
  3. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    here is some footage of Stribling, he looks like he took a jump rope class prior to boxing and this looks like his first day in the boxing gym. He has no idea how to punch, he has no balance, and he looks like a guy who just walked in off the street and decided to punch the heavy bag for the first time. I won't mention him in the same sentence with RJJ.
    This content is protected

Bukkake likes this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    I wasn't thinking of any in particular. Open weight?

Make it Light Heavyweight if you'd rather though, or something else even.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    I mean personally, I'd rather look at a fighters ability based on them actually fighting, but you do you.

PhillyPhan69 and The Senator like this.
  6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    But what exactly have you seen in Stribling's actual fights that leads you to believe he could beat Roy Jones Jr.? Do you think he looks formidable on video? If so, can you refer us to any specific moments in any of his fight footage?

7. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Weight pretty much determines it all. Roy had the most success in his career below heavyweight while Stribling had his best success at heavyweight. Stribling also had underrated power at heavyweight.

8. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
  9. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    The funny thing is Stribling’s punching technique and footwork in the video posted above is actually very good and efficient, but now days people are used to modern bag work that’s usually just for the camera’s. But, in some cases a lot of modern guys are just bad at working the bag and have terrible footwork. Two of the worst I’ve seen are Joseph Parker and Breazeale (in person).

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I love how oldschool fighters are chastised for being unorthodox even if they have great success but fighters today are praised for it (ex Lomachenko)

Stribling looks fine on the heavybag. A little lax on the defense but good power and especially looks like a slippery son of a *****

That being said I take Jones here by UD

11. Humean

Humean New Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2018
    As long as Roy can use at least 50% of his limbs then I think he should just about take this one.

Furey and Pat M like this.
  12. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Funny, Stribling managed to land those 'telegraphed' uppercuts on Schmeling.

Also, for the matchup I pick Jones by decision (at Light Heavy).

BitPlayerVesti and Seamus like this.
  13. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    But what exactly have you seen in Roy Jones Jr's actual fights that leads you to believe he could beat Young Stribling? Do you think he looks formidable on video? If so, can you refer us to any specific moments in any of his fight footage?

BitPlayerVesti and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  14. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    What point are you trying to make? Unless you're new to the Internet, surely you realize that there are dozens of highlight reels with hundreds of examples of Roy doing bad-ass, amazing things in professional fights. Are you trying to pretend that there's some kind of equivalence between asking for someone to explain and provide evidence for why they find Stribling impressive and asking about Roy? I don't get it.

DanishDynamite, The Senator and Pat M like this.
  15. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Looks pretty awful on the bag to me. If you want to argue that we shouldn't draw inferences about his abilities based on his heavy-bag workouts then fine, but let's not pretend he looks good.

And LOL at "a little lax on the defense."

DanishDynamite likes this.