Who would make more money fighting today?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I didn't really take that into consideration.

Then it's Johnson, although indeed his style would put tons of people asleep and would people say "the heavyweight division is in a terrible state".

2. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Dangerous outsider: Stanley Ketchel

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Greb would not only be a boxer but also a UFC fighter today.

He made a lot of money fighting outside the ring.

4. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Just dont write Marciano any checks.

5. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Marciano repeats his feat and wins the unify heavyweight title. And retires with a perfect record of 49-0. With 49 knockouts.

6. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Marciano. Italian- Americans are good to put on the market in the USA, and with his mixture of punching power, chin, stamina, pace and his bone structure he would have a lot of succes at HW...

7. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Something else to consider:

The guys you mentioned defined what a "great fighter" should be for future generations. If they were born now, they would never have been able to shape public perception of what an ideal fighter should be like. If it wasn't for these guys, we might prefer completely different types of fighters.

For instance, take Marciano. At first glance, he seems to fit the stereotype of a bankable fighter. He's a tough, determined Italian-American slugger/brawler who throws punches in bunches. But that type of fighter (slugging Italian-American brawler) is popular partially BECAUSE of Marciano. Without him, we might instead have a preference for the OTHER successful type of fighters in his era--slick "old school" defensive geniuses like Moore, Walcott, and Charles. We might appreciate fighters like Toney more and fighters like Mesi less.

Johnson is similar. In part, the swaggering, trash-talking braggadocio of some modern fighters owes a lot to Jack Johnson. And Tyson certainly benefited from the love of whirlwind knockout artists that Dempsey created in boxing culture as early as the 20's.

So it goes...

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Sombody who could be huge.

Max Schmeling

Imagine the gates that a German born world champion could bring in Germany today.

Incidentaly Schmeling Neusel broke all boxoffice records for a European fight. I guess what goes arond comes around.

9. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I think Dempsey and Baer would both be huge.

10. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Jack Johnson - Would be booed like John Ruiz was booed for excessive clinching, and fighting soft touches while champion. However, I do think he would be interesting at the press conferences!

Harry Greb - Would be worth his weight in gold.

Sugar Ray Robinson - Would be worth his weight in gold.

Rocky Marciano - If Rocky was in the cruiser weight division, he would not make that much money. As a heavyweight champion, I think would make about as much per fight as say, Lewis or Holyfield.

Having said that, we are in a politically fragmented era of boxing. All of the above fighters would be alphabet champions today, not lineal champions. This means fights with the other 3 champions who would be viewed as their chief completion might not happen.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    SRR for me. His marketability, charisma, business sense, longevity and unbelievable talent is going to bring him forth in the modern era. His talent IMO would let him clean up from 147 to 160 with a decent chance of success 175 and 168 as well.

12. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    1. Dempsey
    2. SRR
    3. Johnson
    4. Marciano

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Wouldn't worry SRR. Given the schedules of today his longevity would be frightening barring unseen circs.

14. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Not to mention faster cut/swelling stoppages and more clinching allowed by refs. Although I believe Marciano would absolutely be champion in the modern era whether he chose to fight at cruiserweight or heavyweight, all of those things would certainly weigh down on his success- he was really much better-suited for the era he actually fought in.

15. ozziebattler

ozziebattler Shadow Boxer Full Member

Feb 4, 2006
    probably Marciano...shortass italian heavyweight with a massive punch and sturdy chin...