Who would win between Wilder and Frazier?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Aug 4, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel this would have been a great fight because of Wilder`s reach, height and power, who would win? No Marvis jokes either please.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Joe Frazier pummels Marsellos Wilder

Reinhardt, BCS8 and SHADAPBLAD like this.
  3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Marvis did beat Bonecrusher Smith, who could hit just as hard as Wilder and had a similar reach, so Wilder could definitely drop a decision to Marvis if he tried forcing his right hand, since Wilder doesn’t have the handspeed and timing that Tyson or Holmes had.

Wilder would need to be patient and cleanly setup his punches to get the knockout on Marvis, which he’s capable of doing when he puts his mind to it, since throwing wild right hands at Marvis would be a bad idea and would just lead to Marvis outhustling him to a decision.

On to Joe Wilder’s sloppy footwork would really work against him against. Wilder also has a bad habit of backing up in straight lines, which would be asking for a flush left hook. Wilder would need to find the perfect range on Joe early and set him up with a few clean right hands, which wouldn’t be easy, since Wilder’s never fought anybody that would smother him like Joe would and Wilder’s body is wide open for Joe to attack.

BCS8 likes this.
  4. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Erm ok then

6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    If J.Frazier could make quick fisted, well schooled fighters like J.Ellis, B.Mathis Sr, and the fastest of them all Ali, repeatedly miss, I see no problem of him making the wide swinging, telegraphed punches of Wilder miss. Plus Wilder doesn't fight with the brute physicality of G.Foreman. Easy night for Frazier, probably could pick the rd.

BCS8, louis54 and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Lmao I was just about to comment on that as well

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Prime Frazier knocks him out by round eight. Wilder has no defense and he would lose power punching down at the crouching Frazier. It would be a one sided contest. Amateur vs a pro.

George Crowcroft, BCS8 and louis54 like this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Probably Frazier.

BCS8 likes this.
  10. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Frazier by ko around round 8-10.

surfinghb1 and BCS8 like this.
  11. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    It'd be false to say that Wilder doesn't have a puncher's chance, but barring a right hand Hail Mary, Joe beats him up before taking his head off with the hook.

Frazier in 6.

12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Depends on how Joe takes Wilder's power

13. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I think Wlder would have great difficulty landing his bomb on the short, bobbing and weaving Frazier.
    Wilder looks good against upright slow big guys that he can tee off on,he wouldn't be able to do that here.
    Wilder is lost inside and Frazier loves to get there and work the body,his work rate would trouble "chicken legs," too.
    Other than Frazier walking into a big shot if he momentarily straightens up ,I can see him stopping Wilder late or taking a decision with his relentless activity .

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No way could Joe take Wilder`s power.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    What about the difference in height? Joe would be tiny compared to the 6'7 Wilder, Willard didn`t control space the way Wilde does, it`s very hard to get in close without getting caught.