Who would you have most / least liked to spar?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Like to spar:
    Who's the lightest hitting strawweight you can think of? Him.

Wouldn't like to spar:
    Anyone else.

BitPlayerVesti, BCS8 and BlackCloud like this.
  2. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    That had to be fantastic! Sounds exactly what I would have imagined the experience to be like!

BlackCloud likes this.
  3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    You're on the money once again robert u:thumbsup:

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks Brother. Means alot!

red cobra likes this.
  5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Robert, not being a masochist or a glutton for punishment (I think maybe they're both the same thing), I wouldn't want to spar the Dempsays, Marcianos, Tysons, Listons, Foremans or Fraziers, but rather, the Locches, Peps, Loughrans and others of the defensive ilk. I know the pain would be that of humiliation and frustration compared to the concussions, bruises, organ damage and blood urination, (less physical trauma, but I know that there would be some anyway) but if were a boxer, I would love to spar the ring geniuses for the principle opportunity of learning something from them...and imitation would be the sincerest form of compliment, as well as picking up, possibly, the ability to deal with the bruisers of boxing in real matches. Either I would or I'd suffer in the prize ring all the potential damages that I would encounter with them in sparring, only getting more monetary compensation from the experience, lol.

6. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Exactly brother. A great jab and great defense are the two things I was most attracted to when I first fell for boxing and it still holds true today. I picked some of the smart slick defensive masters to learn from instead of just getting the #### beat out of me lol.
    I remember a very big lesson once. I was in the ring with Emmett Johnson ,Harolds nephew. He kept telling me to keep the left up but I liked shooting it from the hip constantly and was too predictable at that point ..man he fired an overhand rite to make his point that I never saw coming. It knocked me clear across the ring and I saw nothing but lightning flashes. Needless to say I mixed up my hand position moving forward lol!!!

BlackCloud likes this.
  7. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I would have liked to spar mid to late 1970s Ali because it’s a chance to be in the ring sparring with a legend and by that time, it was well known that Ali didn’t really take sparring that seriously plus with a crowd watching or being filmed, he would have been clowning around and playing to the crowd so less chance of me being hurt.

The Senator and BlackCloud like this.
  8. nikrj

nikrj Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I would like to spar:
    Benny Leonard
    Mike Gibbons
    Willie Pep

I Wouldn't like to spar:
    Jack Dempsey
    Rocky Marciano
    Sonny Liston
    Roberto Duran
    Mike Tyson

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    greynotsoold, reznick and BlackCloud like this.
  9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I would ask to spar John L Sullivan, in order to advance out historical knowledge, and I would take a notepad to take extensive notes about his style.

He would then obliterate me with the first combination, and I wouldn't remember anything about it!

10. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Got a good laugh out of that one. "I think...he could hit pretty hard..."

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  11. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Well I know the one I would most be afraid to spar with would be David Tua. Watching his knockouts of Ruiz, Moorer, and Obed Sullivan among others that would be my personal nightmare.
    Maybe sparring with someone like Sugar Ray Leonard would be cool, from a teaching standpoint, and as long as he wore the bigger gloves and kept his punches very light.

12. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I would add Hagler and Toney to the dislike group.

13. J Jones

Jul 19, 2017
    Good call on Bhop. However, I think the pre-Tito Bhop would be a good addition to the dislike pile.

14. J Jones

Jul 19, 2017
    Chris Byrd would probably be good to spar with, especially with his dad watching over the session.

15. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    The least would be the fighters who started boxing late and had to learn faster than fighters with more exp. Ron Lyle and Dwight Qawi were also both also fearless in the ring . Lomachenko as it would be like trying to hit a ghost and he seems to be humble bloke as shown when sparring with MMA champ TJ Dillashaw .