Who's Greater: Joe Gans or Packey McFarland (Reasons Please)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 10, 2021.

Who's Greater?

1. Joe Gans

82.6%
  2. Packey McFarland

17.4%
  1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He beat his grandad, Davey Day.

Bujia likes this.
  2. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Oh, I know. I’ve been reading Ron’s posts on boxing forums for years.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I've read them for about a month and have subsequently decided that he is without doubt the most random fanboy I've ever seen. Who the **** chooses Davey Day as they're main man?

Bujia likes this.
  4. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    He genuinely is related to him, just not certain to what extent. To be fair, Day is overlooked and seems to have been an excellent fighter who might’ve been seen in a much more positive light if he’d gotten the benefit of the doubt in some key decisions.

This kind of fanboyism and, more to the point, denigration of those he faced doesn’t do him any favors, though.

5. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Absolutely incorrect, Henry Armstrong was a great fighter, and that goes for Lou Amber's as well. The point I am trying to make is that Day was nightmare to all the Lightweight & Welterweight Champions,, under the control of Mike Jacobs and prevented Davey from rematches with Amber's and Hank. Very few people know the ability of Mr. Day and some rather shun the truth, that he was too tough and very capable of bringing down the monopoly of Jacob's house champions. I have over 500 plus Newspaper clippings, stating just that. When Davey fought Armstrong for the Welterweight Title, was because Pedro Montanez refused to fight Hank, and Jacobs called on Davey to fill in the scheduled date at MSG two weeks before the fight. Armstrong and Day were lightweights fighting for Armstrong's Wel. Title. They were the same age. Newspaper clippings told the story after the fight, some biased and others truthful. Captions, "Armstrong Nearly Met His Wateloo" Point in fact, none of the fighters that Armstrong fought, approached the encountered of the Armstrong and Day fight. Armstrong got his worst beating in winning over Day. Davey fought Armstrong half blind, half the fight , from the 6th Rd. to 2:49 of the 12th Rd. Referee stopping the fight, looked at Armstrong's bloody face and said, "You can rest now" and stood there in wonderment where he got his stamina from? Mentioning he has never seen a fighter throw as many punches as did Armstrong, quoted at 2000 in 12 rds. IF INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE, go to Ebay and put in Search ( Armstrong, Lou Amber's Tony Canzoneri) all together. You'll see a picture Davey and his manager getting off train 1939 to fight Montanez. Don't have to bid on it. read the description of the item, with pictures of Armstrong and Day fighting, and historical narrative of fights in the Golden Age Of Boxing. Enjoy.