Who's more popular in Canada?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by DirtyDan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Royal-T-Bag

Royal-T-Bag Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 6, 2008
    GSP by a longshot.....Boxing is only popular in Quebec in Canada, whereas all across the country every dude you meet is an MMA fan, I'd say a good 90 percent of males under 30 are MMA fans....it's spawned a generation of meathead ***gots that wear tight bedazzled affliction shirts and tap out hats to the side and they get so horny after ufc cards that they wrestle each other like homos in the parking lots of the bars they watched the fights at. Canada is pathetically UFC brainwshed...."oooh it's in a cage and they kick each other in face....EXTREME!!!"

2. Squared Circle

Squared Circle Member Full Member

May 8, 2010
    GSP is the only real Quebecois in the bunch. Of course he's more popular than a couple of squatters.

3. Faerun

Faerun Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
  4. DanishFightfan

DanishFightfan Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 7, 2011
    I just don't get why Bute is more popular than Pascal..
    Pascal is willing to fight the best with no bull****

5. technocrato

technocrato Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 12, 2009
    It is hard to tell. GSP is the most popular in Canada, for sure, and by far.

In Quebec, since the three are from Quebec, wich has a different langage (I am speaking of the majority and by law), a different system of law (the civil code (the rest of Canada goes by the outdated common law), etc, the picture is different. GSP has longer genealogical roots in the province since his ancestor came from New France, like the rest of the majority. But he fights in a less mainstream sport (mainstream meaning media exposure in Quebec). Pascal is popular but people in general don't like his bragging attitude. He is a Haitian but has been "naturalise" meaning that he is been living here from his youth and have acquiered the french quebecer's way of speaking. Bute is the less Quebecer of the bunch, on the other hand, is attitude is liked, and he is a champion. In Quebec, I think the three are about equal to be honest.

6. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Nice breakdown of their popularity in Quebec, tech. :good

Everywhere else, their level of popularity/noteriety would be listed as follows.

1. GSP
    2 (tie) Pascal and Bute

Pascal is better known due to his fights with Hopkins, but Bute might be better liked at this point. So it evens out, more or less.

7. pavlikfan

pavlikfan Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Who the **** is GSP?

8. JASPER

JASPER Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I live in Canada too, and i can assure you that people know who Bute is where I am from. If you ask anyone for a current Canadian boxer if they can name one it would be Bute maybe Molitor then Pascal. That's if they know anything about boxing but there are a lot more causal MMA fans in Canada so they would pick GSP over Bute or Pascal.

9. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Champion Emeritus Full Member

Feb 23, 2005
    It's not just Canada man. I refuse to go to a sports bar when there is an MMA event on. Truly a barbaric subculture of people.

10. JASPER

JASPER Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 21, 2007

This pretty much sums it up!

Pascal, was my Favourite of the 3 but I could not forgive him for losing to the limited Froch, so he slipped in my eyes . . . and Bute took over.

11. mudpunch

mudpunch Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I have some rare information about him right here. He's hardly known.
    This content is protected

12. Flexb

Flexb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm from Toronto and believe me it's GSP. I love boxing, not UFC but GSP is household name here

13. Flexb

Flexb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I wouldn't go that far. Canadians are tough and like fighting. We're the one's that created hockey and love the fighting. Canada is the type of place you can get in a good fight with someone and shake hands when it's done. Well, it used to be like that, now the new generation is all about weapons and jumping people 5 on 1. Thug mentality rules I guess.
    Boxing is too complex, as dumb as that sounds. They just like to see one punch KOs and like violence. Most canadians don't have the attention span to watch a 10-12 round fight without flipping the channel to hockey.

14. RustBelt

RustBelt The Pride Of Youngstown Full Member

Apr 6, 2011
    GSP is Known WORLD WIDE

15. Chex31

Chex31 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2008
    GSP easily.

No one knows Bute out here.