Whos the best trainer of all times??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jul 10, 2007.

1. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I'm hugely impressed with Emmanuel Steward.
    The job he did with Lewis was fantastic and it looks like he's doing the same with with Klitschko. He also briefly had Evander when he beat Bowe, and his work with Hearns and others at the Kronk stable over the years is superb.

Maybe when all is said and done, he will surpass them all in terms of greatness.

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He worked with Pryor for the Arguello rematch too, had Chavez for a bit, helped McCallum a bit and much much more.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Who was Monzon's trainer, he was pretty good...

apologies, my memory is like a sieve

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Translated - he smashed my man Mike Tyson and i've hated him and all his trainers ever since.

5. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Anyone remember Georgie Benton ? He deserves some credit.
    Als Eddie Futch(bringing up Bowe while in his 70's) and Many Steward are up there

6. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    That would be Amilcar Brusa, who was just inducted into the IBHOF, and at 84 is working for Golden Boy Productions, also dividing his time training boxers between Los Angeles and Argentina. He's led 14 boxers to world titles so far.

My own list:

Eddie Futch

Thomas "Sarge" Johnson (The trainer for the 1976 U.S. Olympic boxing squad which won five gold medals, and produced several professional championships. He was killed in a 1980 plane crash near Warsaw, then the worst air crash in Poland's history. U.S. amateur boxing has never recovered from his loss.)

Gil Clancy (Emile Griffith from scratch. 'Nuff said.)

Emmanuel Steward (Already a HOFer at his age, he may yet surpass them all.)

7. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Futch, Steward, Arcel and Dundee are the names that immediately srping to mind here.

I'll go along with Futch.

8. mcvey

mcvey Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Well no ones mentioned them so I will,Charlie Goldman,Whitey Bimstein,Jackie McCoy,Benny Georgino,Eddie Thomas,Pops Foster way back.all good guys. Manny Steward is one of the best but sometimes spreads himself too thin,looking after several fighters at once,,Ill say Ray Arcel or Eddie Futch take it.

9. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    It's a great list of names. After reading Corner Men by Fried though, it's really Eddie Futch who lingers in my mind. Manny Steward is proof that all the great ones don't simply reside in antiquity. I didn't expect anybody to name Sarge Johnson, but his emphasis on lateral movement translated into numerous professional championships for his charges.

10. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Steward brought Hearns and Lewis' careers back from the dead, and he's done the same with Klitschko. You could say he done a similar job with Holyfield for the Bowe rematch, although that was a quick fix then away again.

Not sure he had the input with Hamed he wanted. Steward was a co-trainer with Saurez, and he openly admitted it was not a situation he was never entirely comfortable with. Ive got to say his instructions to Hamed between rounds of the Barrera fight need to be serious questioned "Open up and this fight is over with". Steward was expecting Hamed to KO Barrera, when he should have been getting into Hamed's ear about winning rounds.

Team De La Hoya treated Steward with no respect. Not Oscar himself, but Alcazar and Joel Snr. The main reason why Steward was sacked?. A difference of opinion with Joel snr on how many rounds De La Hoya should be sparring. 1997 was a very busy year in the ring for De La Hoya, as he had five fights. Gonzalez, Whitaker, Kamau, Camacho, and Rivera. Steward thought sparring over a 100 rounds for each fight was simply too much for a world class boxer fighting five times a year. Joel snr wanted more rounds.

Steward invited De La Hoya to attend the Holyfield v Moorer II fight in November 1997, which he did along with girlfriend Shanna Moakler. Steward has been well known as a close friend of Don King. This had Bob Arum fuming, as he had suspicions Steward was trying to get Oscar to sign with King. Steward and Oscar swear to this day no meeting with King ever took place.

Joel snr and other members of team De La Hoya felt Steward was spending too much time with Lennox Lewis. Steward had Lewis train at Big Bear to try and spend equal time with each fighter. Lewis was based at Big Bear for his fights with Akinwande and Golota.

Alcazar back stabbed Steward during camp, as he was going back reporting to Joel snr on everything. Second pair of eyes for Oscar's father, who more or less ran his sons career 10 years ago.

Steward trained Oscar for his last three fights of 1997, and was fired a week before the Rivera fight, with Clancy taking Steward's place as a consultant in the corner when Oscar stepped into the ring with Rivera.

11. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    Ray Arcel has to be one of my favourites as I'm a massive Duran fan. Not just for the work and dedication he showed for the "Hands of Stone", but his input with the old timers, Benny Leonard and Barney Ross, etc.

Eddie Futch is right up there.

The best corner team ever, and I'm including the fighter. Benton, Duva, and Whitaker.

12. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    That hit and hold robot is will yield more success than the more exciting Wlad that we used to know...

I like Manny Steward he's effective, has a great strategist and good motivator. He corrects flaws very well.

Futch probably the best ever.

13. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Whew! Over Arcel, Futch and Holmes, or Arcel, Freddie Brown and Duran, or Yank Durham, Futch and Joe Frazier, that is very high praise indeed!

14. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Excuse me where did you get that picture from of Bernard Hopkins in your Avatar.

15. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    I don't mean the best corner team on paper, but how well they gelled together between rounds.

No fighter comes close to Whitaker for absorbing instructions between rounds. He listened to his seconds, Benton especially, with so much focus and aknowlegement. Benton was the strategist, Duva the motivator, and Whitaker the listener.

At times it was as if Whitaker was having a conversation between rounds with Benton, although he was usually all ears and no mouth. Benton, head through the ropes, always calm and clear with his gameplan plan for the next round, while Whitaker's facial expressions showing a fighter ready and willing for the task ahead.