Who's the GOAT welterweight - GSP or Usman?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Beouche, Feb 14, 2021.

??

1. GSP

100.0%
  2. Usman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Two of the most boring fighters of all time. But two of the best. Who's the GOAT WW?

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usman is too easy to hit with right hands, I think GSP would have stopped him, he was in bad trouble v Burns in the first, he was wide open to those right hands.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  3. Francis75

Francis75 FAB 4 Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    C'mon don't start all this crap again like they did with crybaby Woodley a few years ago. Usman looks solid but has done NOWHERE near enough to be considered ahead of GSP as the best ever at 170. As of right now GSP is CLEARLY ahead of Usman and that is simply not up for debate.

4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usman is clearly ahead of Woodley too.

Beouche likes this.
  5. Francis75

Oct 1, 2007
    Agree that Usman > Woodley.

Truthfully Woodley should have never had any successful defences if judges scored correctly. He won the title off Lawler who was coming off several brutal wars then stunk out the joint with a draw and imo a loss against Wonderboy Thompson. Imo Woodley has ZERO successful welterweight title defences.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    UnleashtheFURY and Suspect.chin like this.
  6. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Didn’t he defend against Till?

7. Francis75

Oct 1, 2007
    If the judges correctly scored Thompson the winner in their 2nd fight then Woodley wouldn't have been the champion to defend against Till so my statement stands correct. By the way Thompson CLEARLY beat Till 4 rds to 1 when they fought but incompetent judges got it wrong AGAIN. Feel sorry for Thompson he has been incredibly stuffed around by bad judging when you think about it. So unfair. Also Condit should have been the welterweight king when he beat Lawler. That pathetic judging may have caused his downfall since.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  8. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Still have GSP ahead. I wouldn't call Usman boring, yesterdays fight and the one with Colby were action. he changed to more wreslting to combat Jorge's hands as he is a threat when he lands.
    That aint boring that's being a champ to have them mixed talents and when to use them.

Bokaj and hobby rider like this.
  9. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
  10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    This.

And how is GSP boring? Ok, the Serra loss greatly affected him, but my word he was a BEAST before that.

GSP is the don, IMHO. The only guy I'd put above Fedor in terms of skill-set. GSP was the most well rounded to do it.

11. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Nah. Forget all of that for a second.
    Let´s take their official records and go with that.

Woodley got in 4 title defenses and there were talks of him standing above GSP.
    Now Usman has defended his title for the 3rd time, and it´s the same as it was with Woddley.

Meanwhile GSP was a 2 time champion at the weight and defended the belt 9 times.
    Usman likely already stands above Woddley, hard to argue against that. But GSP is way ahead of those two.

12. Francis75

Oct 1, 2007
    It seems to me the idiots who claimed that Woodley rivaled GSP and now suggesting Usman rivals GSP are just casual fans with recency bias. I would be shocked if any legit hardcore mma fan would suggest that either were ahead of GSP's legacy at 170.

UnleashtheFURY and Badbot like this.
  13. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I am not a hardcore fan of the sport, but it does seem that way.
    However, the MMA media and some commentators I follow... they were bringing it up :lol: It´s like some kind of a disease that just wont go away.

Plus someone made a great point about GSP being there way before the new age of MMA. Before Rousey, McGregor and Jones. Before the new superstars. Makes sense that the newer fans don´t really know or care about GSP and his legacy.

Francis75 likes this.
  14. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Usman may get there but GSP is clearly the GOAT ahead of guys like Matt Hughes and Usman

15. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    true dat