Who's The Oldest Fighter, You Admire?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Lol. Probably.

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  2. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I am with you Fergie its Jack Johnson, still have him in my top 5 atg heavyweight list much as most people disagree

DS Phil Hunter and Fergy like this.
  3. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Dempsey. He set attendance and earnings records and elevated the sport above all others including baseball, football and all other spectator sports. He was bigger than Ruth.

Levook and Fergy like this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I've noticed he tends to move in and out of people s favour, Noel.
    But there's still quite a few that I know really rate him.
    I try to look at him for his time not how he matches up to those that followed him.
    And for his time, when he had his best head on and was sorted he was bloody hard to beat.
    Nice to see someone else appreciate him, mate.

5. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Sam Langford. Just look at what he accomplished across many weight classes, Lightweight through Heavyweight.. If life was fair, imagine how many different weight classes that man could have been Lineal Champion in! Then imagine how many he could have picked up, in a just world, if there had been as many different weight classes as there are today. If your knowledge of him is limited, start by looking at his professional record. Then try to imagine what's probably missing. After that, watch whatever film clips you can find, as well as write ups about him. Believe me, it will be worth the effort.

6. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Joe Gans, Mike Gibbons, Barbados Joe Walcott are among my early (and all-time) favorites. It's hard for me to pick among them, but if cornered I'd go with Gibbons.

Levook and TipNom like this.
  7. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    George Dixon and Bob Fitzsimmons

Levook likes this.
  8. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    He's in my top 5 heavyweights of all time too Noel. I put him at number 1 in chronological order because he was the best of his time. My Top is.

Jack Johnson
    Joe Louis
    Cassius Clay/Ali
    Larry Holmes
    Lennox Lewis

Levook and Noel857 like this.
  9. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm with you on Jack Johnson,Fergy. Sam Langford too.

Levook, DS Phil Hunter and Fergy like this.
  10. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Larry Holmes, actually followed him a bit: read his biography, learned that he made a ton of money from the town of Easton. He had an atg jab. Looked flabby at times lol, with his notorious glasses lol. And the epic fight between him and Gerry Cooney on legendaynights. He was in there with Tyson and Evander (correct me if I'm wrong) and pulled a stud move fighting butterbean at a really old age on ppv.

Levook and DS Phil Hunter like this.
  11. DS Phil Hunter

Jun 11, 2022
    I'm a big Larry Holmes fan too. His fight with Ray Mercer is one of my all time favourites. I know he desperately wanted to fight comeback George Foreman and he can be a bit bolshy occasionally about not receiving the acknowledgement and recognition for his career but I rate him highly and he seems to be a personable guy. Muhammad and Larry is also an excellent documentary.

Noel857 and Mike_b like this.
  12. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Wasn't he the dude who did a dropkick off a car ? Lol

DS Phil Hunter likes this.
  13. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Probably Joe Louis. A technical marvel . My opinion the best offensive heavyweight in history when one looks at how intuitive he was with his combination punching, how much speed and power he could get on any punch in the dictionary, he was truly a savant the offensive side a boxing at heavyweight.
    If a fighter like Wilder had half of Louis's technical ability, he'd still be undeafeated , easily dispatching everyone he's faced so far.

Levook and DS Phil Hunter like this.
  14. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't understand how you could not admire somebody from the bareknuckle era.

15. DS Phil Hunter

Jun 11, 2022
    Yes he drop kicked Trevor Berbick for disrespecting his wife!

Mike_b likes this.