why all the hate over commentators?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Relentless, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    There's too many commentators. One or two guys are fine with me but it's to the point now were gumflappers are like sanctioning bodies, too many. I won't mute the sound if it's Merchant or Barry Tompkins. I don't like Lampley cause he uses too many fancy words that I don't know and I ain;'t about to go digging through a damn dictionary over a boxing match. Kellerman is just a fan with a microphone put in front of his face and the type of fan that would get beer poured on his head if he sat in front of half the grunts who post on this board.

2. o_money

o_money Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 8, 2006
    All I'll say is I was pumped about max moving to HBO when it first happened but I was off the bandwaggon well before this larry merchant thing happened. The dude is just not a live commentator. He needs time to think it through because in the moment he's too ampt up to say the right thing.

Personally, when a commentator says something I could have thought up myself or gives some insight into the fight that I can plainly see for myself I get annoyed by them....

And nothing bugs me more then when a commentator won't get off a guys nuts.....like in the bhop trinidad fight. It took forman 10 rounds and larry merchant calling him on his bull**** to finally admit that Bernard was spanking tito.......I'll give max some credit he might not have pull an on air "why won't you give the guy any credit george" but he probably would have made a point of disagreeing with him.

Anyways these days most commentators are on there networks fighters like Jemma on Ron and almost none of them has anything insightful to say.

I don't mind al bernstein. sometimes emmanuel sterwart is ok. atlas gets old quick but he's likeable. Bod sheridan is a muppet, lampley is a tool but he can call a fight when he's not on his knees. Max needs to go to school and lay off the coke. Merchant wines too much. And everyone else I just plain don't like.

How's that for some hate......:yep

3. Hank

Hank Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 30, 2006
    One reason is they talk too much. Another is they are sometimes biased.

One thing I like about watching figts from 1950's and earlier is that there is only one announcer, and he let's you watch fight without trying to tell you about every punch thrown, or re-telling fighter's life story once a round.