Why all the hate with Eubank Jr?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by yeyo monster, Jul 15, 2017.

1. DKD

DKD Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2010

I'm not wrong, mate. You're just naive, that's all.

If Jr doesn't have a top ten ranking, then he certainly has the profile of someone who has. Why is that? Famous dad, maybe?

We've seen this pattern with the sons of famous dads time and again. Eubank Jr is no different.

The idea is to hype them up using the family name, manage them carefully and cash in before they get exposed.

Boxing is unbelievably corrupt at the best of times.

You fell for the hype, that's okay, but here is your big chance to wake up. Take it.

UnleashtheFURY, iii and Howitzer1888 like this.
  2. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Corruption in boxing is fixed fights , dodgy scorecards etc . . You're now talking about Eubanks profile , as in popularity.
    Exactly how is corruption related to his perception by the public?

What pattern have we seen before? Shane Moselys son just lost again to a guy Eubank would easily beat.
    How was Mosely Jr ever the beneficiary of corruption in boxing?

Hype and corruption are not the same in any way shape or form. Eubank had a a small degree of hype and interest for being the son of a famous boxer. Thats it. It doesn't win fights for him and he has never gotten anything he didn't deserve by way of corruption.
    If corruption was at play , he would have got the decision against Saunders but he didn't despite it being a very close fight.
    The words you type 100% wrong.

3. wifly

wifly Active Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2017
    His dad claiming him the best middleweight, that pathetic showboxing, that weird human being, he calling out opponents and then avoiding them, his dad s monocle, the way his dad talks and acts... But I enjoy to watch him fighting, also I dont hate him, I only want his opponent to knock him out, just to see Eubanks Sr face #WarYildirim

CST80 and alexland like this.
  4. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I wouldn't use the term corruption, which implies that there is some kind of illicit or nefarious conduct going on. At the end of the day, we live in a capitalist world and if people are willing to pay for something then people are going to charge for it. But there is no way in my view that ITV would even have contemplated putting last night's fight, or the Quinlan farce, on PPV if he was called Chris Smith and did not have a famous father. I agree that Benn junior has had far more favourable treatment than has CEJ.

True that, I don't remember him getting that much mainstream publicity outside of a bit of coverage on channel 5 (hardly renowned as major players in the boxing game) up until the Saunders fight. And then all the complaining started that he hadn't earned the right to a world title final eliminator (true at that point) and was only getting it because of who his dad was (maybe, or maybe it's just the WBO ranking committee is rather inept - they ranked a dead man at one point. CEJ is hardy the first fighter, nor will he be the last, to get a loftier ranking than his accomplishments probably deserved).

Wrong Chudinov - that was his brother.

True, but he did have an Olympic medal in addition to world, European and Commonwealth gold medals as an amateur. That usually carries a lot of weight when turning pro. Eubank's amateur successes were limited to a bit of US golden gloves, he was hardly a world beater.

Those fighters are not names, with the exception of Abraham they are domestic or European level fighters at best and the Abraham win came after they started putting his fights on pay per view. There are any number of fighters in the UK over recent years who have fought much better fighters than that, some of whom have won and defended legitimate world titles, and yet are not headlining PPV events. Off the top of my head Groves (when he's not fighting Froch), Degale, Burns, Crolla, Saunders, Crolla, Selby, Quigg, Frampton (when they're not fighting each other), Jamie McDonnell. CEJ's wins pre-Abraham are really more akin to someone like Callum Smith, Josh Warrington or Martin Murray and nobody's suggesting they should be headlining PPVs.

I don't dislike him and I have in the past defended him when people have suggested that he is riding his dad's coat tails, given that he is obviously a world class fighter in his own right. But when you see fights like these headlining PPV events, it gets very difficult to continue to hold that line with a straight face. Corruption it is not, but they clearly would not have been so other than for who his dad is. That said, personally, my beef is with the idiots who buy them as opposed to the fighter himself, who is in the game to make money.

dinovelvet and DKD like this.
  5. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    What a lame post...going around in circles...muddled mind.

6. DKD

DKD Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2010

Corruption in boxing goes way beyond just fixing fights. It also extends to match making, promotion, becoming ranked, purses and a whole lot more besides. You'd do well to look into it, it's actually very interesting.

As for hyping up the sons of famous dads, there have been dozens of them over the years. Personally I'm old enough to remember when Marvis Frazier was blown away by Larry Holmes in the first round.

In recent years we've had Mosley, Camacho, Paez, Hearns, Jackson, Chavez, McGirt, Foreman and many others. They all had a privileged start and they all fell short.

Without the hype, investment and protection afforded to them due to their family name then it's unlikely that they would have had the limited success that they did enjoy. Chances are they wouldtn't have got anywhere at all.

Now we have Eubank and Benn. It's the same old story.

I'm not criticising the whole boxing family thing, there have been many successful boxing families who threw up several champions and belt holders. The Mayweathers are the obvious example of this and there are others, but two or more truly world class boxers from the same family is rare.

Anyway, I'm not interested in going back and forth with you like this. If you can't see through the whole Eubank thing, that's too bad.

We'll all find out how good Eubank Jr is, or not, in due course.

However building your own name and getting ahead on the strength of your father's achievements is something I personally do not condone or respect.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    If I was guiding Eubank's career, I would have tried to get him on the 9pm to 11pm Saturday night slot on ITV1 . Really build him up for the casual punter, like they did with his dad, Benn, Prince Naseem for a little while. Then maybe switch it to PPV when he's fighting for a world title. At which point they could maybe do a million sales instead of the 80k odd they probably did last night.

They had Groves ringside as well last night, so they could have created a WWE style feud that everyone laps up these days. Maybe have Groves run into the ring at the end of the fight, bounce off the ropes and do a clothes line on Eubank.

Beez and alexland like this.
  8. alexland

alexland student of the sweet science Full Member

Mar 20, 2017
    agree completely, except for the part about the monocle

appearing in public with a cane and derby hat, but no monocle, would just be wrong

wifly, Kevin Willis and JeremyCorbyn like this.
  9. Todd498

Todd498 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Because of it's personality and abomination type appearance ;)

Kevin Willis likes this.
  10. Todd498

Jun 13, 2011
    Look at the awesome corner work by his pops here. And that outfit too!

This content is protected

Kevin Willis likes this.
  11. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I actually like Eubank jnr. His dad has really held his career back though.
    This PPV thing is also bull**** but id be lying if i said i didnt enjoy watching him fight.
    He has a great work ethic towards boxing and shows the dedication to his craft.

He also tries to win every secind of every round. Whats not to like about that?

12. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Sr was not even in his sons life as a child and did not take part in raising him like a real father but Jr becomes a boxer and Sr is right there giving him stupid advice and making a spectacle out of his career.

UnleashtheFURY and Todd498 like this.
  13. Todd498

Jun 13, 2011
    Surprise surprise huh?!

Kevin Willis likes this.
  14. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    The Eubank name is outdated now, if you can't fight you can't fight, having the Eubank name didn't help him beat Abraham

Ffs it didn't get him the win against BJS in a razor close fight that could have gone either way.

Jr trains the house down, nobody is more dedicated than him in the game, ffs he even says boxing is his mrs.

Jr now has a very respectable record easily good enough to crack WBSS.

Does Ohara Davies have a name? Did he have a great amateur record? No he just had a style and mouth that made him a name!!!!

Jr has 10x more of both than that guy, he was always going to make it regardless of names

Blackclouds likes this.
  15. Ahurath

Ahurath Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Am I the only one who think it has to do with his father being always with him? Eubank wasn't exactly the most liked guy either. However Eubank Jnr also have this "arrogance" up and comming fighter which also adds fuel to the fire.