Why are boxing gyms open during COVID?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Toney F*** U, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I’ve seen so many boxing and mma gyms opened during COVID and I don’t think it’s a good idea. There’s no way to keep a distance or stay very sanitary in a martial arts gym. Also pretty bad idea to expose professionals to the virus since they might have to back out of a few fights. I didn’t care at first but when I went back to my gym I noticed the new owner doesn’t even clean equipment, he just wipes the mirrors and stops there. Thoughts?

2. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    If you don't like it and you think you can do harm to your family and close ones, don't go to the gym. I think everybody knows the risk. If you close gyms, people would still train together somewhere else, in even worse conditions.

Pat M and greynotsoold like this.
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I’ve been back sparring for the past 8 weeks at the pro boxing gym I train at. Yet in one of the general franchise fitness gyms that I also coach at, I’m not even allowed to take clients on the focus pads. I do believe professional athletes should be allowed to resume their careers now, they understand the risk.

Pat M and greynotsoold like this.
  4. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    You really think 30 gym members are all gonna go to one person’s house to train?

5. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Dunno, they would probably go outside, or to someone's basement or anywhere... If you have some quick body temperature test before entering the gym and disinfection stuff, people in the gym are safe.