Why are Joshua/Loma held to a different 'standard' compared to other fighters?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by OpinionOfACasual, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Finkle went on record to say Wilder wasn't ready after he won the title.

But to be fair to Wilder just because his team didn't want it doesn't mean he didn't want it. Also Wlad himself made no real move to make the fight happen, neither side tried to make the fight that year. Wlad fought Jennings instead and then chose to face his mandatory in Fury instead of trying to unify.

Both talked about a possible unification but neither side seemed in a rush to make the fight happen. Based off interviews at the time both seemed to think they had time to make the fight later on, probably the following year. Wlad never expected to lose to Fury and Wilder was happy to let Wlad get older and older until the fight made sense. Suffice to say they seemed to avoid each other.

ellerbe likes this.
  2. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Of course the younger undefeated Wlad would most likely taken Wilder's head off.

And there is no way Joshua would have wanted to fight the younger undefeated Wladimir.

Hearn and Joshua always assess the risks/rewards and they knew he was coming off a big loss, inactive and most importantly old.

That's the most important criteria for most of Joshua's opponents. They are either short, old and washed up or old, short and fodder.

Povetkin - Old and short
    Parker - Short
    Takum - Old and short
    Molina - Old Substitute teacher who had already been through a host of wars being torn apart by all and sundry
    Wladimir - Old and inactive and still almost lost

The only real credible wins are against a Dillian Whyte who did his shoulder in before he throw any more punches to close the show, along with Dominic Breezle who stood in front of him like a 100 stationary punchbag custom made for someone in the gym with no footwork.

3. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Well joshua gets his status by clearly being the best in the division.

Wether that's because he is good or rest of them are not it doesnt really matter.

The HW champ of the world is the most prestigious title in boxing.

Wilder doesn't count because he has a contract to fight AJ but is choosing not to sign it. Bum

latineg likes this.
  4. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    You are mad because AJ is making so many multy millions whilst still only 20 or so in, i get it dude.

I just accept it for what it is and whatever it is it BLOWs Wilders path to date out of the water.

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just picture me slapping you while making that last point so as you learn it real good.

Mr Icaman likes this.
  5. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I can respect you defending any other boxer but not Wilder, he hasn't fought anybody to deserve respect that Joshua deserves, his best win is against Ortiz who is aged 40-55, ducked Povetkin and now ducking Joshua. Joshua beat guys who are better than Wilder ever will be(Parker and Klitschko)

latineg likes this.
  6. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Partially because the landscape of boxing has changed dramatically. And if there's 5-6 belts, rather then the old school Big 3, easier to clam a title, milk it, and division hop to supposed greatness. Fact of the matter is, you don't have to face other top contenders anymore to get a title shot. And you don't have to take risks. Deontay Wilder is the poster boy of that. He's missed more opportunities than faced actual contenders.

One thing that should be mentioned is, when fighters were being brought up as prospects, they fought an AWFUL lot within their first two years.

Look at current fighters. Usyk's been a pro for near 5 years...he's had 14 bouts. Hurd is 27, pro for just over 5 years. 22 fights. How many fights has Jermall Charlo had within his first three years? 12 maybe? Jermell at least was a bit more active than his brother.

In contrast, look at how many times Errol Spence has fought his first few years. Or Crawford. And IMO< the skill level displayed, as well as where they are in their respesctive careers is Spence/Crawford >>> Charlo bros.

Lomachenko is somewhat an anomaly at this point. He wasn't a kid coming into the pro game, but a developed (Body and skillwise) adult.

But ultimately, I don't think boxing has the talent pool it once had.

7. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    Whether or not he did or didn't call anyone out, Wilder was a beltholder. WHY WOULD'T he have tried to face Wlad?

8. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I don't care about how much money any fighter is making. They deserve all the money/rewards considering what they do for a living. This is the only sport in the world that justifies obscene amounts of money paid to the athletes.

If you take satisfactions in how much money he earns outside of the ring, then good for you. I hope you enjoy imagining that he is sharing his wealth with you and your family. Love him, pretend that you're him when you look in the poster of him on your wall., kiss in him the mouth when you see him and tell him how much you admire how much millions he has in the back

My problem is that this fraud is a disgraceful champion who has ducked and shyed away from fighting men outside of his country and is blatantly abusing roids and is being given credit for fighting old and short men whilst being protected his personalized bodyguards in the ring with him, allowing him to illegally loosen his own wraps to gain breathers, hit after the bell and hold excessively without warning.

9. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    Don't expect that idiot to properly address this. He's the type of poster whose main focus is what fans say...

10. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Basically the higher standards you set early on are the standards people expect you to maintain. Let’s be honest Joshua deserves a few easy defences but he wouldn’t get away with it.

11. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Well i can see you are deep into a fantasy world when it comes to realistically comparing these two boxers so i will leave you to it while i go and spend all the money AJ is giving me to pay for my internet support you flipping freak.

Mr Icaman likes this.
  12. Mark Adam

Mark Adam Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Wilder would have been very tentative with Wlad compared to how AJ went for it, Wilder was tentative with Ortiz (the crowd started booing) who couldn`t punch anywhere near as hard as Wlad and didn`t have his reach.

latineg likes this.
  13. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    AJ is still work in progress ill give you that but Loma is the real deal. Better than any fighter I have seen since Mayweather was pretty boy.

14. Mark Adam

Mark Adam Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Ortiz was old and all Wilder`s other opponents have been far worse than Parker or Wlad.

15. OpinionOfACasual

OpinionOfACasual Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 3, 2017
    WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder (33-0, 32KOs) is still very much a work in progress, says his co-manager Shelly Finkel. After last Saturday's world title win over Bermane Stiverne, the hype began growing for a fight between Wilder and WBO/WBA/IBO/IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Finkel, who manages Wilder with Al Haymon and Jay Deas, also works closely with Klitschko.

He says there is no need to rush Wilder into big fights against the best of the division; that despite a world title he still needs time to grow and groom his skills.

“Look, (Wilder) is a baby winning the title. It was his first title fight, they'll be a time for unification, they'll be a time for all those things, he could go and Povetkin (the No. 2 contender) in Russia and make $10 million,” Finkel said to the Tuscaloosa News. “It's not the right thing yet. Give him a couple of fights, maybe bring something back to Alabama. Let him develop just like any other athlete. They don't take someone who is a great college prospect and throw him right in. And this kid is a great prospect.”

One fight that could happen this year is a match against unbeaten EBU/British champion Tyson Fury.

Now tell me Wilder didn't avoid Klitschko.....

"Not ready" for Klitschko, but willing to fight Povetkin, apparently.......

Now we know that was a lie too, he falsely ducked Povetkin and is now getting sued by the Russian.

Mark Adam likes this.