Why check hooks are dope

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Shrollleftupper

Shrollleftupper Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2016
    The way most people throw it wrong is the way you describe it, which is pivoting as you start out with the left hook. The correct way to do it is turn the heel as you throw the hook, and from this your rear foot will lift off the ground and you will pivot away from your opponent (at an angle) only RIGHT AFTER the hook lands, so the hook still lands with full power and you pivot successfully. Many fighters, especially MMA fighters, do it the way you described and end up throwing a crappy circular punch while pivoting in place (and thus exposing the side of both their head and body), but if you do it the correct way that I described, you'll be perfect.

2. Shrollleftupper

Mar 21, 2016
    ok sorry I sounded mean, but did you read my post

3. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I don't think that you understand what I wrote.

ecto55 likes this.
  4. Shrollleftupper

Mar 21, 2016
    But did you understand what I wrote?

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I did...let me explain my end. I've been a gym boxer and a rabid watcher since 77-78 never in any gym or telecast have I ever heard this ridiculous term used until I believe it was May vs Hatton and Malinaggi said it. Quite frankly one of the stupidest descriptions I've ever heard. It's a damn hook.
    So should we call the hook Robinson flattened Fullmer with the back step hook? Come on now

The Morlocks likes this.
  6. Shrollleftupper

Mar 21, 2016
    Well it's good to be precise, don't you think? It's not just a hook, it's not thrown in place. Why don't you call a leaping hook just a hook? It's not the same!!!

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Again I disagree. Like I said a hook is a hook no matter how you through it IMO and I'll leave it at that.

The Morlocks likes this.
  8. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I agree 100%. Had to google it first time I heard it....which is when that website with check hook in its name split away from ESB during the Avatar Wars days.

I've never heard a trainer or corner man tell a boxer " he's open for a check hook".

The Morlocks and robert ungurean like this.
  9. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    You'd be knocked out if you had to think that much before throwing a punch. Even if it's muscle memory.

robert ungurean likes this.
  10. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I actually wasn’t referring to the knockdown punch. Galento landed some fairly wide flying hooks on Louis before then though, taking advantage of some things Louis was doing poorly early in that fight.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. Shrollleftupper

Mar 21, 2016
    The only reason that post was so long was because I used so many words to explain why that technique is the best. The actual description of the technique was not that long. The technique is actually really simple once you practice it a few times. Try it. Mayweather and Napoles did it. You can too.
    Actually, the technique can be more succinctly described as stepping towards the direction of your lead hand, then throwing a regular left hook, and then immediately using the momentum of the weight transfer in the punch to pivot off and away. I didn't describe it completely correctly before.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  12. Shrollleftupper

Mar 21, 2016
    I prefer call it a pivot hook

13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Can we not just enjoy a great counter by Joe Louis?

Whatever you want to call it, the way Louis pulls back, then pivots with his hook is glorious. Especially awesome counter as it was only in the first round, and the first time he'd tried it in that fight.

14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, that's true.
    Galento had a lot of variety with his left hooks. A great left hooker, for sure.

15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hang on, you're saying we should just enjoy watching boxing rather than arguing over pointless nomenclature? If that's the case, this is not the forum I joined!

roughdiamond, escudo, reznick and 2 others like this.