Why check hooks are dope

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 1, 2020.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I take it you disagree with the way this coach teaches it?

This content is protected

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Modernist nonsense. The so called check hook, is nothing more than a counter hook period and has been with the sport since the Queensbury rules were established. Probably used during the heyday of The Roman Colosium lol. Add that with "Fighting off the back foot". Which every boxer has done at some point. Basically a defensive posture.

The Morlocks and robert ungurean like this.
  3. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes

4. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Floyd apparently learned the term (and the technique) from some old-school Michigan trainers:

This content is protected

I don't get what you guys have against the term or why you think it's "modernist nonsense."

reznick likes this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    To be fair, some of those Michigan trainers might well have been smoking crack .... or "A Side Meth"

Tin_Ribs and George Crowcroft like this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    John, apologies if I've offended. 1st time I heard the term was from a Mayweather Jr fight.
    But my point is it's a counter hook. To many posters see the punch as something mystical because of Mayweather Jr's effective usage of it and him calling it that.
    Many modernist come off as if its something new. Hell I've used it myself sparring. I haven't sparred hard in over 30yrs.
    So, What's next? A check Jab? Check straight right hand? Check uppercut? Every counter punch turned into a check something?
    But again if I've somehow offended, apologies. I generally agree with what you post, and the times I don't I can see your point of view and your reasoning for the opinion.

7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I wonder if that is a regional term? The move itself certainly isn't new, but I had never heard it called that before Floyd called it a check hook.

8. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Agreed. This has nothing to do with being modernist.
    It's a new term that was made up for an old technique. Who cares?

escudo and mrkoolkevin like this.
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yes sir...I forget what it is now but Andre Ward made up some ridiculous name for a rt hand. When I first heard it I almost fell off the chair laughing. I mean come on now this stuff has been around forever now.

The Morlocks likes this.
  10. Shrollleftupper

Shrollleftupper Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2016
    I don’t believe you should lean back, because that takes the power away from the hook. Assuming you’re orthodox, what you should do is take a quick, slight step to your left and make your front foot face forward, then throw a normal hook, but let your rear foot naturally leave the ground as you finish throwing the hook so that you can pivot on your front foot. This is not exactly how I described it in that post.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    mrkoolkevin likes this.
  11. Shrollleftupper

Shrollleftupper Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2016
    However, that coach was using the check hook as a counterpunch, not as a general way to stop a charging opponent or get off the ropes (which is what my technique was). As a counterpunch, I would do the same thing that coach did but without leaning back; the power of my hook would outweigh the fact that I would be more open by not initially leaning back

12. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Wasn’t offended but I’m pretty sure you’ve got the wrong guy.

13. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    Yea that's a big no. Hook is a hook. Deal with it

The Morlocks likes this.
  14. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    oooow then that must make it right then lol. Never heard it mentioned once at Fraziers gym or Warminster PAL or watching any live fight since 77 until Steward said it. LOL u kiddin me. How come Clancy Dundee Quarry Norton ect ect never mentioned it while they were announcing. Your a joke

The Morlocks likes this.
  15. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    Boxing encyclopedia lol not me I'll leave that to an expert like you because you know Steward said it so it has to be gospel in your eyes. No I couldn't remember who said it I do remember the fight though. Does that make me a bad guy?
    Go follow the masses sheep

The Morlocks likes this.