Why did Canelo move up to LHW for Kovalev, but can't do the same for Bivol & Beterbiev?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MannyMMA, Nov 13, 2021.

1. MannyMMA

MannyMMA The WBC stands for We Be Crooks - JT Full Member

Sep 11, 2011
    An honest question for Canelo fans and posters who have been saying that Canelo isn't a light heavyweight and that a catchweight fight would be fair. Why do so many people find it unreasonable for Canelo who has a Light Heavyweight belt to fight Light Heavyweight champions he keeps calling out at Light Heavyweight? I propose another question, why is it fair for him to fight Josesito Lopez and Amir Khan who were two weight classes smaller than him at 154 and 160 respectively? Should they have been treated to a catchweight fight?

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR CANELO TO FIGHT PERMANENTLY AT 175 OR EVEN 168. I AM JUST OF THE OPINION THAT A TRUE CHAMPION FIGHTS FIGHTERS AT THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT CLASS.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He beat Plant last weekend... he shouldn't be obligated to announce he's moving up so quickly. Let him rest, decide what's happening next, and see if any upcoming results change his mind.

As for the reason why he fought Kovalev but hasn't made a move for either of the other two, is they're not shopworn and Kovalev was. It's that simple.

3. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Why did Roy Jones move up to fight John Ruiz and only John Ruiz?

We all know the answer. And it doesnt minimize what actually happened. People love to judge boxers and fights based on their opinion of out-of-ring news/politics/opinions.

iseah10001, JSpizz, Rakesh and 10 others like this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    These alpha male millionaires and their extensive management teams will sort it all out, I'm sure.

JSpizz and StiffJab like this.
  5. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Khan was at a catchweight. Agree that Canelo should fight at 175 if he goes for titles at LHW.

Blaxx and JunlongXiFan like this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    When those are as well-marinaded by vodka and tenderized by Yarde as Kovalev, I;m sure Canelo will be eager to feast on their remains too. At a suitable catchweight.

7. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Why did Pacquiao move to and claim a vacant 154 pound title when he fought Margarito, but did'nt fight the real champions at 154 lbs?
    The same think goes for Ray Leonard when he fought LaLonde, he claimed two bogus titles in one night by having a light heavyweight Lalonde drop a full weight class while they fought for both Lalonde's 175 lbs title and a vacant title at 168 lbs.

Box office fighters are allowed to do it all the time, they claim a title against a weaker champion and dont stick around to fight the strongest one.

8. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    People need to stop overating bivol...he will not beat canelo....I literally have no doubt in my mind about that.

Beterbiev Vs canelo woulda been Interesting if Artur was 5 years younger...but not now...Alvarez will fight both soon and win both....think the only guy with a prayer at beating him now is benavidez ..and he'd have to be on!

HellSpawn86 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  9. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I think you should rename the thread to why haven’t the other LHWs fought each other yet. Why should Canelo be obligated to fight men in another weight class when they’re not interested in fighting one another.

juhave, JSpizz, JordanK2406 and 9 others like this.
  10. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    This content is protected

11. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Who said he wont do the same? 175 is the next destination, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

JSpizz likes this.
  12. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    [/QUOTE]
    Exactly. worried about Canelo when Bivol and Beterbiev have been circling eachother for years but no fight. Hi bcs8:ciao:

13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Exactly. worried about Canelo when Bivol and Beterbiev have been circling eachother for years but no fight. Hi bcs8:ciao:[/QUOTE]

14. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    [/QUOTE]

KO KIDD likes this.
  15. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    tenderized by yarde

:risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:
    :roflmao::roflmao:

oh, man, I laughed so much. Thank you, you have an awesome sense of humor.

Because that is a joke, right? awesome sense of humor.