Why did Canelo move up to LHW for Kovalev, but can't do the same for Bivol & Beterbiev?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MannyMMA, Nov 13, 2021.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Because Bivol and Beterbiev aren't washed up, mentally broken alcoholics.

kiwi_boxer likes this.
  2. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Those fights could still happen though canelo has a lot of options including 160 guys like charlo andrade or ggg 168 like benavidez and then of course the fighters in the OP

3. JacK Rauber

JacK Rauber Try not to offend, try harder not to be offended Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Canelo has proven he can fight in a range of 160 to 175. His best fighting weight is probably 168 currently. He needs to fight Benavidez. That is the fight people want to see and that is the fight that should happen next. It would be a very interesting fight because I don't believe Canelo will do what Davis did, because Benavidez will pick him apart from the outside with his long reach and snap on his jabs. Canelo will bring it inside where he has a good chance of stopping Benavidez. Benavidez is a beast. He is my favorite fighter right now. His speed is probably a bit better than Canelo's. But Canelo probably has better durability. I don't know how many of you noticed, but when Davis pushed Benavidez back on several occasions DB looked somewhat awkward/clumsy. For this reason, I think Canelo will be on the front foot in this fight, backing DB up. It's a risk but it may slightly favor Canelo in a shootout.

As to Bivol and Beterbiev, I think Canelo breaks Bivol down. Bivol is slick and fundamentally sound but he lacks pop. AB, on the other hand, is the wild card. I would love to see that fight. Earlier in AB's career I believe he would have stopped Canelo. Now, it is a coin toss. I still think AB wins that fight by KO but it would be a very interesting and entertaining fight.

Joe-fist likes this.
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    This content is protected

(OP is the fella in the cargo shorts, in this analogy)

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Bivol isn't a big banger, but he's a crisp precision puncher with good pop. Certainly much harder puncher than BJS, Yildirum, Fielding, Plant, and at worst as hard as puncher as Smith. But Clenelo would be dealing with a high ring IQ, a high level of boxing fundamentals, patience and composure of a veteran, and a very educated jab.

Joe-fist likes this.
  6. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Bokaj, bandeedo and Joe-fist like this.
  7. Joe-fist

Joe-fist Wise men fear nothing Full Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Don't forget Bivol have a very good defence;he can evade alots of punches by moving backwards or sideway,not alots of boxers can do that.

8. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    bump

9. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    difference is, i havent spent my time trying to make one the narrative. i havent tried turning beterbiev into a ducker every thread i enter, just because i would rather believe what he said over what she said. im not looking for emotional relief, im providing perspective. i look at each ones history of challenges, and which history falls in line with the lip service. one has faced everyone he NEEDS to face, the other one not so much. the rest is what you will yourself to believe. point is, if you cant believe the man, believe the history.

10. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    It wasn’t just Kovalev being past his best, it was also because he was the biggest payday. Beterbiev and Bivol have not done anything to raise their profile. They could have fought each other or tried to go after Usyk.

IsaL likes this.
  11. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Dude....i have not said what you did or didn't do....or what you are trying to do. I don't know why you even post that. Just posted am article is all which tells a slightly different take on the 'offer'...take an emotional day off or something. I'm not trying to go after you or anything... :lol:

Joe-fist, Zhuge Liang and bandeedo like this.
  12. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i wasnt coming at you, lol. or speaking about you. but i understand how it could appear so. I know you were just adding info to the debate at hand, and thats all. my response wasnt meant to sound defensive, or aggressive. my history, sentence and paragraph structure, sometimes reflects that way.

13. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Only Canelo is required to take tough fights. Bivol and Beterbiev can avoid each other the rest of their lives and they'll be ATG LHWs.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  14. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Name me a tough canelo fight ? One where he doesn't have every possible advantage in both legal & illegal
    Not one since Floyd. If canelo is half the fighter he thinks he is he'd have accepted GGG's challenge to a fight in MSG With no VEGAS or NSAC INVOLVEMENT. He didn't. I'm serious now in thinking he must know the majority of boxing fans believe he is a proven Peds cheat that has a cast iron guarantee he'll never lose a decision in Vegas. I don't think I could stand that Id want to prove them wrong. Maybe $$$$$$$$$ makes the fans opinion worthwhile. IF SO HE'S NOT A REAL ATG But just a pawn for the Sin City

Joe-fist and iii like this.
  15. Moonlight

Moonlight Walking in the moonlight... lonely.. as always.. Full Member

Nov 12, 2021
    Canelo should return to 160. He is natural 160/168. I don't wanna see him with robotiev in the same ring.