Why did Cassius Clay choose the name Muhammed Ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Oct 8, 2019.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Not Johnny Carson the TV host?

2. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    No that's his brother

choklab likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Ali is a muslim name, I think the prophet Muhammad`s surname was Ali.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tupac Shakur is a muslim name also I think, his father was a black activist.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    The prophet Muhammad, he is the Muslim equivalent of Jesus.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He considered Cassius a slave name because it was the name of a roman soldier.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes, the African names were long forgotten after the first slaves took their masters surnames. They belonged to the farm they worked. Muhammad’s family were Clays because they worked Clays fields.

One of the group of managers that first signed Ali was actually a Clay. When interviewed on TV he said “my great granddaddy owned his great grandaddy. So you could say We have owned his family for many years” which mustn’t have gone down too well for a young kid calling himself the greatest.

I often wonder if it was that comment that started the ball rolling.

He wanted to get rid of his slave name.

One explanation of the conversion is it was an attempt on finding a more fitting name since Islam is more prevalent in the African continent.

To be fair I don’t know if the Native Africans followed hereditary name system within their cultures around the times they were sold off as Slaves? Or if Islam was prevalent on the coast where most of the slaves came from.

I assume they followed the tribal customs of the uncolonised Africans left behind in Africa where there are continuous cycles of tribal wars and people are named after the winning tribe they belong to.

There is a misconception that white people kidnapped free natives and sold them to America when I think they exploited the winning Tribes who sold the losing tribes to visiting traders in exchange for goods.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks Hulk. I'm a fan of all 3 especially Dwight

George Crowcroft and GoldenHulk like this.
  9. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    No Ali was a cousin and companion of the prophet Muhammad. Muhammad didn't have a surname but the Arabs used to address each other as Muhammad son of so and so, son of so and so (their father and grandfather) while also mentioning which tribe they belong to. So for Muhammad it was Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Ibn Abdul-Mutallib from the Quraysh tribe.

Muhammad Ali is a combination of 2 of the most noteworthy Muslims in history and it has a nice ring to it. The name Muhammad means "praiseworthy" which fits for a boxer who praised himself and said he was the greatest. The name Ali literally can mean "high, elevated, or champion" which also fits. Clearly not a coincidence that he had those 2 names together.

10. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    The Clay's were related to Henry Clay, the politician in the 19th century. Even Ali himself said that.

11. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Actually Jesus (Isa) is a prophet in Islam too. Whilst Muhammad is considered a false prophet in Christianity.

Tramell likes this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s what I heard. The Muslims rank JC. But only as a soldier with his own crew. Christians have God as the boss who also became a street level soldier on earth in the guise of JC. Jews recognise the same guy but also see JC only as just a kind of made guy alongside Abraham and Moses families. They don’t believe he was more than one guy. The Muslim recognition of Muhammad as a made man came after the Christians and Jews ceased to take on any new made men. They closed the books by then.

TBooze likes this.
  13. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    roughdiamond and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Really? Guess I got that wrong. Wasn’t JC a son of David?

George Crowcroft and TBooze like this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Well this has spiraled far from the topic at hand. I have some very divergent thoughts to the ones opined above but figure this forum probably isn’t the best source for this dialogue nor the right place.

George Crowcroft and choklab like this.