why did Duran never fight...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by masterorder19, Jul 5, 2007.

1. masterorder19

masterorder19 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Aaron Pryor
    Alexus Arguello
    Carlos Ortiz
    Duilio Loi

How do u think Duran would've done against these fighters..I am a huge Duran fan top ten..But he did lose to his biggest competition..Lost 2-3 to leanord,got owned by Hearns..Got outclassed by Benitez and had a great but came short performance against Hagler..

he loses a UD TO PRYOR
    he loses a UD TO LOI
    pick'em against Arguello even though i would honestly lean a lil bit towards Arguello..

I would favor him against Ortiz only because Ortiz at the time was a fading fighter..but prime4prime it's a pick'em

what do u guys think??

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    He was that bit to heavy to fight Pryor.

Arguello/Duran was set in 1978, then Alexis goes and blows a non-title fight to Vilomar Fernandez.

Ortiz retired in 1972 after losing to Duran victim Buchanan

Loi retired in 1962

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

A huge Duran fan? You don't sound like one. It's nice to see some objectivity (which there seldom is with many on here) but saying stuff like he'd beat Ortiz "only because Ortiz was faded" then saying "He was owned by Hearns and outclassed by Benitez" when Roberto was way past his best- and way above his best weight. :huh

4. masterorder19

masterorder19 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2005
    How canyou usay he beats Loi and Ortiz no doubt thats not true...And he would not stop Arguello..Arguello took a beating from Pryor that Duran wouldn't be able to deliver..Duran was also not as rough and strong as Pryor..

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Aaron Pryor - Duran UD
    Alexus Arguello - Duran TKO
    Carlos Ortiz - Duran UD
    Duilio Loi - Duran UD

6. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I can't disgaree with the above.

7. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Duran was rougher than Pryor. In contests with similar strategys, against Leonard and Arguello, it was Duran who was the rougher fighter inside. Pryor was a very strong aggressive fighter, but he was not exactly would you call rough.

8. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I think you have to take more time to review Duran at his best.

9. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Well, you know, Duran, Ali and SRR are unbeatable in fantasy matchups here on ESB...

10. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Sarcasm aside,

who beats prime Duran at LW or WW?

Who beats prime Robinson at WW or MW?

Who beats 1967 Ali?

There is no shame or naivete in thoughtful denial that anyone could beat those three at the very best. That is why they are elites. For the record, I think that there are guys who have a chance and will tell you who if you are interested. But you first.

11. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    Interestingly enough, I believe that Pryor has the worst chance of the group of beating Duran.

12. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

I didn´t mean that these three legends at their prime could be beaten easily or so, but I know meanwhile that here on ESB (in general in most boxing forums) that these three fighters are unbeatable by their fans, don´t forget, for example at Lightweight there were so many great fighters, it´s one of the deepest weight classes talent-wise, so I wouldn´t write "No doubt, Duran wins easily against fighter A and against fighter B"..., especially if someone don´t even know the other fighter except from reading...

13. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006
    At HW I would give these fighters a chance against Ali:

Rocky Marciano
    James J. Corbett
    Ken Norton
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Larry Holmes
    Evander Holyfield

Against Duran at 135 lbs.

Duilio Loi
    Carlos Ortiz
    Benny Leonard
    Billy Petrolle
    Tony Canzoneri
    Ike Williams

Against SRR:

At MW there are more fighters (Benvenuti, Giardello, Tiger, Hagler, Monzon, etc.), here he´s very overrated, at WW I think only one fighter could beat him, and that´s Napoles... Whitaker and Hearns I give little chances...

14. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I doubt Holmes could beat that version of Ali.

15. Stonehands89

Dec 12, 2005
    I should have said a "real chance" or who would you favor ... Any boxer has a "chance" to beat any other.

I'd favor no one to beat Duran at LW. The one who would come closest in my opinion is neither Benny nor Pernell. I'd say Shane Mosley.

At WW, I'd favor Robinson and Hearns. That's it. Duran would be a very slight favorite over Leonard.

I'd favor no one to beat Robinson at WW. At MW, I'd favor Hagler and Hopkins... and perhaps Hearns.

Ali. I'd actually favor Frazier.