why did Duran never fight...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by masterorder19, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Sorry, I didn´t write clearly what I meant. I meant that on their peak they have 50 % winning chances...

2. smokin joe

smokin joe Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2006
    duran was past his prime when fighting those guys, you forgot to throw palimino in there, plus he beat the biggest fish in the sea which was leanord, plus duran threw the rematch agaisnt leanord

3. masterorder19

masterorder19 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2005
    he still shouldve beat benitez...

4. masterorder19

masterorder19 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2005
    If esteban de jeseus could come up with a victory other greats can aswell

5. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

At what time?

6. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bad timing

They were scheduled to fight, but Quartey pulled out when he was offered the De La Hoya bout.

Bad timing.

7. hopkinsfan07

hopkinsfan07 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Duran was near unbeatable at lightweight

8. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Only one of these matchups was ever a serious possibility.

In the mid and late 1970's, when Duran was proclaimed to be the P4P Numero Uno, boxing experts agreed that the one man near his weight who had the best chance of beating him was Arguello. After Roberto unified the lightweight title against DeJesus, Alexis stepped up in weight, to establish himself as a contender in that division. Unfortunately, Vilomar Fernandez derailed his initial foray as a lightweight, and Duran vacated his championship a few months later. (The next time Arguello tried stepping up in weight, he got by Boza Edwards, but was dropped and nearly derailed again by Ramirez.) It was the closest Alexis ever came to competing for an undisputed title.

Retroactively, it's obvious that at full strength Duran probably would have knocked out Alexis, but if Arguello had managed to defeat Fernandez impressively, and was fortunate enough to get a weight weakened Duran into the ring for the undisputed LW Title, he might have become one of the only two undisputed champions in boxing (until SRL/Hearns I). Alex might have then ruled the lightweight roost as long as Duran did, although better yet for him, as a unified champion.

Duran/Pryor would have gone to Roberto by UD. Aaron was wide open and a headhunter. The lower and more defensively skilled Duran was an experienced streetfighter (an asset most in evidence during his mugging of Davey Moore), and a dedicated bodypuncher. The Hawk didn't have the sort of accuracy or firepower that would have been needed to kayo Duran, and El Cholo would have outscored him badly. Even if peak Pryor was impervious, in the game of hitting without being hit, he would have finished a distant second.

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Duran beats them all with Pryor & Arguello giving him a very close fight.

10. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Which Duran ?

At wgat weight ?

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I can speak factually for Arguello

Arguello had no sooner expressed interest in moving up to take on Duran when he (Dooran) jumped not one but two divisions looking for the big fights. I actually have a pic somewhere of Duran cocking his right fist at an Arguello photo. Neither ducked each other. Duran would have been a terrible style match for Alexis, bless him.

12. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I think that was to build that 78 bout, that was all but signed, sealed and delivered only for Arguello to blow a tune up non title bout.

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually haven't heard what you claim anywhere. Source?

14. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    I've seen that pic as well, JT. Alex had considered Duran a friend, but when they crossed paths during that period, El Cholo, being the way he was at the time (a competitor who motivated himself through hating all of his opponents), glared at Arguello, and said, "When we fight, I'll kill you!" (Surprise, surprise.) Alexis, ever the Dale Carnegie student, was shocked at Roberto's sudden hostility, but he should have known Duran well enough to expect behaviour like that.

15. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Peter Arnold claimed a match was being planned after Arguello/Tam, at the Inglewood Forum, only for Arguello to blow it when he lost to New York cabbie Vilomar Fernandez.

(Page 180 Lords of the Ring)