Why did Eddie Hearn put Ritson in with Vasquez in the first place?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by SuperLomaMan, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SuperLomaMan

SuperLomaMan New Member banned Full Member

Oct 16, 2020
    All this talk about robbery, I've not seen the fight. But I'm not surprised.

I chose not to watch the fight because Vasquez is possibly the most boring fighter to watch of the last 20 years.I decided years ago I would never watch another one of his fights, he's unwatchable. He makes every fight a stinker, awkward negative spoiler. But he's good at what he does.. he''ll beat most fighters Euro level or under.

I just find it bizzare that Hearn made this fight? And he rearranged it numerous times. Did he want rid of Ritson or something! it was a tough unecessary fight he was never gonna look good in, it was never gonna make good TV.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. Bogey picker

Bogey picker Former child banned Full Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Cos he dksab. Stella drinker and epstein black book member barry was a much better promotor than eddie will ever be

3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Maybe Eddie thought if someone as average as Ohara Davies can beat him then Ritson stood a chance. Could then promote Ritson as being someone who has beaten a former WC.

Holler likes this.
  4. BaronSamedi

BaronSamedi Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Apparently David got a matchroom special against Vasquez too though

PaddyGarcia and moog like this.
  5. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    He wasnt with Matchroom at the time but he did get a gift.

6. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Davies good schooled by Vazquez too to the point where Davies was so pissed about the decision, he went to Vazquez to raise his hand as the winner.

Holler likes this.
  7. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Have you seen Lawrence Okolie?

8. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Could be well wrong, but I just think Eddie is a great salesman but knows **** all about boxing. So just saw, a former champ on a decline who had lost his last fight.

I dont envisage Hearn watching much boxing other than his own shows tbh.

Then again woupdnt it be his matchmakers fault?

Inglis_1 likes this.
  9. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't think he knew anything about Miguel vazquez.... Awful style match up for ritson and alot of fighters coming up to be honest only his record

10. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He can’t win. He puts him in with someone he steam rolls easy he gets criticised. Puts him in with a better opponent and someone says he shouldn’t have!

LoadedGlove, Holler, Mavin and 3 others like this.
  11. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    There’s truth to this. I was underwhelmed with it as a fight at first because Vasquez’s best days are behind him. On the day I thought ‘you know what, Vasquez could make this a very difficult night for him here’ and decided it wasn’t a bad fight at all. Turns out I was right to think that really. Ritson is never going to graduate beyond British level, unless he finds a very favourable style match up

Holler, Scissors and Wizbit1013 like this.
  12. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Ritsons problem is he has not progressed at all over the last 18 months or so
    He plods forwards and has no angles
    Footwork is slow and ponderous which hinders him
    Personally ive no issue him staying at British level whilst he improves

Euro and World level fights he will always struggle with otherwise

13. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Eddie does display good knowledge of boxers, weight divison, rankings etc (more so than Arum and Warren), maybe not boxing itself but you assume as with other promoters they have people who really should involved in their Match making.

I mean we all know Ritson is limited and will make low Euro level at best. However do you go the route of testing thhe the limites boxers like Hearn has and give them the chance to be successful or do what Haymon is famous for and dosnt test his more popular fighters like Wilder, Kownacki etc and build there repuations and milk there careers for just fighting low level opposition?

14. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Turns out it was bad matchmaking,everyone knew it was a bad style match up and Vazquez has made better fighters than ritson look toothless.ritson will have a lot of bad feeling from fans now and that's unfortunate because he's a nice lad but it's just been a shambles all round.

Wizbit1013 and NasalSpray like this.
  15. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    No, it's bad matchmaking. Ritson was not ready for Vazquez.