Why did Frazier fight Foreman twice?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by straightcross, Nov 28, 2015.

1. straightcross

straightcross New Member Full Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Frazier had some great people around him and a layman could see that Frazier could never beat Foreman with his style yet there was a rematch.

Only thing I could think of is that Joe really wanted himself seeing the type of man he was

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Great question! Little known fact, despite Foreman's COMPLETE annihilation of Smokin' Joe, Frazier was the only man to ever fight Foreman twice. Nobody, not even Ali himself did that. So the myth that Frazier ducked big punchers was kind of bull****. But I digress.
    I think Frazier just wanted to redeem himself after that blow out. And he did. I don't think he thought he was gonna win.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  3. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    What an uninformed heap of ****.

4. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
  5. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Shows the true warrior Joe was. After Manilla, Joe was just very war torn and didn't need to keep fighting, yet he fights (of all people) George Foreman again.

6. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    ***** the size of basket*****

7. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Because he was the ultimate down home badazz. He only had 2 people to. Measure himself against, and if he beats Big George he gets the first one again,

8. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Mr Butt gets it bang on.What a warrior!!

9. Boxing125

Boxing125 Active Member Full Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Frazier wanted to see if his loss in 1973 first time out was due to a poor game plan and a tactical error of fighting in his usual attacking swarming style. He wanted to get not necessarily get revenge but a chance to do better and show himself that he wasnt always going to get KOd in one or 2 rounds against Foreman. This in 1976 when Frazier was wearing contact lenses, had poor eyesight and was past it.

In the re-match you see Frazier fighting in a more cagey style and moving backwards a lot and fighting in a way he never fought before. He still lost every round.

10. LXEX55

LXEX55 Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Greg Peralta fought Foreman twice. Kirkman fought him once in a real fight, once in the Foreman vs. Five Men circus.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think Frazier sincerely thought that he could beat Foreman with a different strategy.

If you don’t try you will never know.

12. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Foreman claims he jumped on Frazier and even Norton early because he was intimidated... especially by Frazier. He also said some nice things about Liston regarding their sparring sessions. I don't really buy it. I think it's more of a case of Foreman showing respect. After all, who wants to bash the people they were in the ring with... it doesn't help a fighters legacy if he's fighting a guy who sucks. I never understand it when a fighter bashes his opposition... so basically what they are saying is that they never fought anyone decent.

Frazier May not have been at his very best vs. Foreman in '73 but I doubt it would have mattered much. Sure, a past prime Frazier lasted 4 1/2 rounds but this was after Foreman's loss to Ali... he wasn't exactly the same fighter either. I give Joe a lot of credit fighting Foreman again and he showed that he could change (can't really say adapt) even if it didn't work. They both weighed in at 224 but It looked like a man vs. a child.

13. kevin_1990

kevin_1990 Member Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    i have always wondered why there was never a rematch between foreman and Ali

14. Anubis

Anubis Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Jimmy Young got in the way.

15. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Joe's statements after the bout were a little odd about the fight and his changed look. He used this style against Stander also which was a surprise but then Ron was no Foreman. George was abit sloppy but after Frazier 1 and the Norton bout that became a common with him, I can't recall if Sadler was still training him at this time but under Gil with the shortened stance George always seemed unbalanced.