Why did Josh quit?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by newby johnson, Jun 2, 2019.

1. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    The last knockdown, Joshua was caught with a couple of counter looping shots. They were lightning fast, even if you slowed it down. Joshua did stun him, but he just got caught. He can't take Ruiz power on the inside, that's evident.

2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Yeah, Joshua can live to fight on another day, plus he can psychologically justify to himself that he was still good to continue. That wouldn't be possible if he was laid out on the canvas a dribbling mess.

3. mcguirpa

mcguirpa Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2009
    This reminds me a lot of Benn/Mclellan. There's quitting, and there's quitting.

In this case AJ didn't know what round he was in or where he was.

Mike_S likes this.
  4. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    the ref gave him of plenty of time to recover!! he gave him a 10 count, then he let AJ walk over to the corner wtf??? Who the hell walks to the corner then rests his arms on the ropes??? that is NOT sign of a fighter thats ready to go.... not to mention he INTENTIONALLY spit out his mouthpiece, which is a classic tactic he has used before in his past.

rinsj and covetousjuice like this.
  5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah I get that but I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who was raised in one of the toughest caravan parks in the UK and is a distant relative of Bartley ''King of the Gypsies'' Gorman. I'd still be trying to administer a gypsy slicking to one of my opponents if they'd pulled out a shotgun and blown both my legs off.

Clean & Crisp likes this.
  6. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Spitting the mouthpiece out isn't quitting anymore than clinching or taking a knee is. Its just the sensible thing to do to try and buy some recovery time.

7. mrtony80

mrtony80 Likes thick chicks Full Member

Sep 2, 2009
    This. I’m no body language expert, but it’s clear as day Joshua wasn’t there.

8. newby johnson

newby johnson Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2009
    He was clearly having thoughts after the first KD in the last round and after the ref waved it off he wasn't upset at all

Serge likes this.
  9. newby johnson

Jun 25, 2009
    He was dropped, but they weren't bad knockdowns. There's a difference between that kind of KD and Fury Wilder. HUGE difference. He wasn't badly hurt, he was gassed possibly, but is that a reason to quit? People fight with broken hands, jaws, collar bones, being gassed is not a reason to quit nor are knockdowns, unless you've taken too much, which he hadn't.

What was JMM supposed to do after the first round of the first Pac fight?

10. newby johnson

Jun 25, 2009
    But with what? He got knocked down, but they weren't bad knockdowns. And outside of that the fight wasn't very eventful, there weren't bad punches taken and it was a pretty even fight outside of the moments of the KDs.

This was such a bizarre quit job, yet people are acting as if it was all completely normal.

11. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    He was exhausted. That breath he took after the final knockdown was the end. He couldn't get right.

12. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    "He probably had that planned in advance"...What garbage...

13. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    This is no surprise , he was virtually the same in the Takham fight, after the ref to help him out..

14. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Because he was getting the stuffing beat out of him?

He quit to save himself from getting fully KTFO.

Jackomano likes this.
  15. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. He was gassed out and knew he was beat, so he swallowed his pride and took the loss rather than taking more punishment. He’ll have plenty of time to re-watch the fight and study Ruiz for the Re-match.