Why did Kneegel take the knee?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jul 17, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    That's been my avatar for a while now. Watching it, I just couldn't believe that it happened. When Cotto took the 1st knee I thought he might just be taking a breather and was banking on being ahead on points. And just needed to recover and gather himself. But then shortly after he does it again. He's tired, but he's not wobbling all over the ring from exhaustion. He's hurt, but not dazed, not groggy, he's totally aware of what is going on and has total consciousness of his surroundings.

He just backs up from one corner of the ring to the other, doesn't throw a punch to defend himself and just takes a 2nd knee and quits the fight.

How does Miguel do that? I don't get it. Yea we know, you're tired and you don't like the avalanche of short chopping, grazing blows that Margarito is landing. But you have 1 more round to just suck it up and try and win the fight on points.

Cotto quit in his biggest fight because he just couldn't take 1 more round of digging deep. And then he got destroyed the next year by a blown up Featherweight. So my respect for him as a great fighter evaporated.

Miguel Cotto is an overrated fighter and I don't like him.

2. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Funny how comments/Posts like that never come from actual fighters. Not even 5 fight Novice amateurs or trainers.

Always from armchair warriors lmao.

You'll never hear anyone with any standing in the sport refer to Cotto as anything other than a warrior

LANCE99, cslb, Nonito Smoak and 6 others like this.
  3. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    When was the last time we saw a top fighter in their prime just take a knee and quit like that without even attempting to punch back? He was just like nah, **** this, it hurts too much I can't go on, I quit.

And then he did the BS draining of Geale and beat up on a 1 legged cripple and ducked GGG. Total diva.

I don't like Cotto, he's probably my #1 disliked fighter.

pacas likes this.
  4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.:number_one:

tinman likes this.
  5. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Because he's health and family come first, he said that himself in the faceoff of Margarito Cotto 2 , he was not willing to risk it like other greats

pacas likes this.
  6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    He could have at least quit on his stool. Just finish out the 11th round and call it a day with dignity.

By taking the knee Miguel surrendered his dignity. I can't recall a fighter doing that in such a high profile fight in a long time.

7. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Yes , everyone knows you just can't quit like that in a big fight of Mexico vs Puerto rico

pacas and tinman like this.
  8. panchman69

panchman69 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    many great fighters have quit.
    chavez against de la hoya and frankie randall

pacas and Willie Maeket like this.
  9. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Answer the phone mofo!-Suge Knight Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Fushuman!!!!

Antonio Margarito was packing plaster and it has been proven so many times that you guys are living in delusion just because you dislike Cotto as a person and not as a professional. I know how to separate the 2 ,unless its a Soviet then my hate runs deep. I dislike Floyd Mayweather Jr. as a person. I completely hate that mutha****a but he is a great fighter without a doubt. After he steps out that ring and takes off those gloves he's just another punk ass ***** to me. See how thats done? Cotto was overwhelmed after giving Margarito a boxing lesson and getting hit by caulk wraps and horse hair gloves. Cotto is a warrior you dirty mutha****a.

Then this buster tried to cheat a cheat and got caught.

10. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Come on, if Margarito was concealing a weapon he would have been prosecuted for attempted murder.

11. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Margarito was a scary ass man. Dude begged opponents to get up from knockdowns so that he can continue dishing out punishment.

pacas and tinman like this.
  12. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    He wanted a good spot to kneel for when he makes the IBHOF

13. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I miss Margarito. When he left a void was formed in my boxing world. Shawn Porter has sort of filled it. Ultimate badass pressure fighter that will fight anybody.

But he doesn't come close to Margarito. You're talking to a massive Margarito fan here.

pacas likes this.
  14. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Answer the phone mofo!-Suge Knight Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    One name that IS responsible for a mans death and cheated in multiple fights is PANAMA LEWIS!! After Billy Collins was killed how much prison time did Lewis do? Aren't you one of the guys always calling **** corrupt in the sport but supporting a known cheat. PEDs aside man, using loaded gloves is B.S..

15. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Margarito would be my number 1 to go into a bar fight with.

Ph33rknot and tinman like this.