Why didn't Pernell Whitaker have more longevity?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by canucks9314, May 12, 2013.

1. heavy_hands

heavy_hands Guest

do you know it very well right?:D

2. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Thats what I came to say.

3. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Didn't know there was a longevity issue at all

4. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2009
    He actually had a fairly normal longevity, Cocaine use may have hurt him towards the end.

Unlike todays fighter (Marquez, Mayweather Jr. , Pac) he didn't have access or use modern nutrition (ie trt, steroids, etc),. Without those enhancement the aforementioned boxers wouldn't be fighting until mid-late 30's either with the effectiveness they have.

5. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    I thought he had good longevity. If he didn't it would have to do with boredom.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Pea did have good longevity but his performances fell off IMO. He lost his sharpness and his just seemed to lose some focus. I suspect his was doing Coke in the mid 90s and he didn't fall off totally until the Trinidad fight but I think he had been slipping for awhile JMO.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Like many have said, drug abuse, and perhaps just as bad for Sweet Pea was boredom. Once he became convinced that he was in a different league from any other fighter his size, that he could half ass training and still outclass his challengers, his downfall was inevitable.

I think a lot of top fighters have that problem, but it's certainly more pronounced for some. (See Ali, who was often guilty of underestimating his opposition, which sometimes cost him, Bowe, etc.)