Why didn't Walcott beat the count in the Marciano rematch?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Sep 3, 2019.

Why didn't Walcott beat the count in the Marciano rematch?

1. He was hurt too badly by Marciano's powerful punches

2. He misunderstood the count

3. It was a fix

4. He decided he was too old for this **** and took the easy way out

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I'm curious to hear what people think.

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think he was legitimately hurt but decided to stay down on purpose and collect the cash. Walcott is one of my favorite fighters so it hurts to admit, but he was old and didnt need to go through that again. He mustve made bank cause Marciano and Walcott were both very popular champions coming off a superbrawl.

At least to say, if he had elected to get up, I don't see Marciano taking longer than 3 rounds to finish it.

3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Coming in he didn't look the same guy, no confidence, his body did not look ripped,he just backed away.Marciano said," I think he could have gotten up ,I know I would have". Marciano was robbed of his triumph.

4. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I like Walcott, too.

If it's a choice between being told to take a dive by gangsters and doing it, or being greedy and quitting, I'll go with taking a dive.

Walcott never came off to me as a quitter or greedy.

But there were plenty of fixes, and guys were battered if they didn't go along with it. It's one reason Ray Arcel, arguably one of the top trainers in the game at that point, left boxing for 20 years.

Arcel was beaten half to death in 1953 (same year as Marciano-Walcott II) with a lead pipe when he tried to put together fights that weren't mob/IBC controlled.

I think you guys are being naive.

George Crowcroft and Pat M like this.
  5. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Because he knew he was supposed to go down. It wasn't a spontaneous decision.

Pat M likes this.
  6. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    It's possible but I think he quit of his own accord.So did A J Leibling who was there.He said Walcott only started protesting after he heard the boos.Ray Robinson thought he quit.You think he quit, I think he quit ,we just have differing opinions as to why.

robert ungurean, Pat M and Dubblechin like this.
  7. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    As you know Walcott got 40% of the gate for both fights, Marciano 20% ,though Marciano was the defending champion in the 2nd fight.

8. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I do. That was not the norm for the time. The heavyweight champs didn't take the short end. There's your payoff.

9. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    The contract for the second fight was finalised at the time of the first fight.

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    So many apparently think Walcott was a quitter and wasn't pressured by outside forces.

Interesting.

Yeah, I'm sure the mob didn't want the Italian guy to retain the world heavyweight title.

11. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I wouldn't rule it out completely but I'm hesitant to assume it was a fix because it's an extreme scenario and I don't think it's necessary to explain what went down. But I need to read up on the evidence more. BTW, what's your theory for why Walcott never fought again after that fight?

12. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Actually, that' s not true. The contract called for them to split the pot if Walcott lost. Walcott got a raise for the rematch. (Wonder why?)

And the National Boxing Association said Marciano didn't have to fight Walcott. The IBC was actually looking at Layne, LaStarza, Charles, Brion and Moore as alternates.

I don't know if you can read this, but here's a link from the NY Times saying they were supposed to split the pot if the rematch occurred and other possible opponents.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1953/01/17/84386129.pdf

13. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Why wouldn't they expect the same result as in the 1st fight?

14. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He could have got up, but it's pretty obvious he didn't have a hope of winning at this point.

Rocky was always going to be better late, and he lost even with a terrific start the first time, no way with a start like that was he going to win.

Tonto62 likes this.
  15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Just as a fighter has a physical prime, they also have a mental prime.

It is the same in any physically and psychologically difficult sport.

There comes a day when you think "what the f*** am I doing here?"

The line between a hero and a coward is often a fine one at the best of times, and a persons willingness to take another beating gradually gets eroded.

Tonto62 likes this.