Why do boxers do slow runs not fast runs?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Bad Dog, Nov 16, 2010.

1. KiwiCC

KiwiCC Grasshopper Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I'd quite like you to stay.

2. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Yeah I shadow box occasionally when I'm doing an active recovery, I think it helps with the feel and timing of punches a little bit. Jogging forwards not so much but when I'm moving sideways I like to pivot with hooks to change the direction I'm facing and it feels smooth and natural. I do it more out of boredom than anything though.

3. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    I second this, im from the Leeds area myself so what titles have you got? whats your name?

4. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Oh yeh your definently from around here, whats your name?

5. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Seconded. I do it all the time actually, it's a bit of a habit.

6. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Boxing Addict banned

May 16, 2010
    I just don't see the point in shadow boxing while running?

7. Ylem

Ylem Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Your probably just not that good at it....as well the way i describe the foot work is wrong after paying alittle more attention to it, it seems more like im punching when one leg is down and the other leg is around the time its square with the other.

which kinda makes sense as that would be when the force from pushing off would be reaching my shoulder.

8. JRzwevegem

JRzwevegem New Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I'm shadow boxing to when i do a long run. When you put weight wraps around your wrist ( i use 2 kg ), it really helps training your shoulders, arms and upper back muscles, + it makes the run much more difficult

9. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Why do ******s do slow runs..?

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Because recovery times don't allow me to go all out every day, and since I don't suffer from mysterious fatigue issues that leaves me with a workout to do.

Just ran 10k, the last 2k bare foot because my shoes are ****ed.

11. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Throwing your arms around while running would make it more difficult.

Endurance training for your shoulders and upper back is not the same as punching. Can you throw an actual punch while running? No. Can you throw your arms out infront of you for a warm-up to loosen up the shoulders and arms, yes, but that isn't punching. The mechanics, balance, weight distribution etc is completely different to standing and punching compared to running and attempting to punch.

12. charlstonbigspu

charlstonbigspu Well-Known Member Full Member

May 3, 2010
    This is a bit off boxing, but i was wondering if any of you guys could give me an idea of some good training exercises for football please?

im coming back from injury and done some slow jogs but my fitness is quite poor after a long time out(tho im not too much over weight only my opinion mind!) and im not really too clued up in good fitness regimes especially the intensive training sessions.

Thanks a lot

13. Just went mountain biking yesterday. Im not sure if you could integrated that into training yet but the whole lower body is aching like hell right now.

Good fun though.

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006

What about Forrest?

15. di tullio

di tullio Guest

Sergio Martinez mountain bikes and paddleboards for training.